Leaving my job as a kitchen porter, is 1 weeks' notice enough?

Watch
IrrelevantName03
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone,

I'm currently working as a kitchen porter in my village pub, which I started about 18 months ago. However my anxiety has shot up recently, and my sleeping/eating have been affected to the point that I worry about my safety on the job.

I run into my bosses fairly regularly, so I don't want to end it on bad terms. Does 1 weeks' notice sound reasonable, or should I stick it out for longer?
Pugsly
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think for similar roles two to four weeks would be the norm. One week is a bit harsh, but who knows - if you want to end it on good terms, managers really appreciate being spoken to before having a resignation thrown at them. Have a chat with a boss, be resolute in your desire to leave. You can say it's because of your wellbeing, but that might make them feel guilty and want to fix things with you - inadvertently pressuring you to stay. However, you could also choose to make up something about seeking to broaden your skills in a new field (that old chestnut). Communication is key.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mypwnsupport)
Hi everyone,

I'm currently working as a kitchen porter in my village pub, which I started about 18 months ago. However my anxiety has shot up recently, and my sleeping/eating have been affected to the point that I worry about my safety on the job.

I run into my bosses fairly regularly, so I don't want to end it on bad terms. Does 1 weeks' notice sound reasonable, or should I stick it out for longer?
What does it say about notice on your contract?
Your contract should say how much notice to give.
jwood1603
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Check your contract. If it doesn’t specify a length of time then 2 weeks is standard.
Last edited by jwood1603; 1 month ago
IrrelevantName03
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Ok thanks everyone, I think I'll go with 2 weeks. I was never given a contract so IDK about the official period.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mypwnsupport)
Ok thanks everyone, I think I'll go with 2 weeks. I was never given a contract so IDK about the official period.
I, too, would have said a fortnight was fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (16)
6.96%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
14.78%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (40)
17.39%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.78%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (61)
26.52%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (45)
19.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise