The Student Room Group

How do UCAS points work?

I've been told that UCAS points work like grades, and doing an AS level would give you UCAS points and therefore bring down the grade requirements for uni, but I've checked a couple uni websites for BSc Psychology and it doesn't mention anything about UCAS points, just grades. Does it actually bring down grades?
Original post by jaxp
I've been told that UCAS points work like grades, and doing an AS level would give you UCAS points and therefore bring down the grade requirements for uni, but I've checked a couple uni websites for BSc Psychology and it doesn't mention anything about UCAS points, just grades. Does it actually bring down grades?

For unis that express their offers as specific grades, no. They want those grades, not an equivalent amount of points.

For unis that give offers as points, you would need to check whether they would take into account an AS Level along with your other qualifications.
Original post by jaxp

UCAS points relate to grades you get X amount of UCAS points for a particular grade. It doesn't bring down grades but if you fail to meet your offer it's a quick way to see what you can do don't worry too much about it it shouldn't affect your offers.
Original post by jaxp

Hi Jaxp,

As the above have said already, some universities will require certain grades whilst others will require a certain amount of UCAS points.

UCAS points take into account AS levels, A levels, Music grades 6-8, EPQs and more - allowing you to boost your application via activities outside of A levels. Some people are able to have lower overall A level grades with this method as they may have enough UCAS points to compensate. Use the UCAS traffic calculator to have a look at what counts for how many points - you may already have some without knowing it.

Meanwhile, some universities/courses will require certain grades. They may consider other activities as a part of your personal statement, but the stated grade requirement typically takes priority.

Hope this helps - best of luck with your application!
~ Mikael, UoP Student Rep :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending