Breastfeeding group volunteer work

Watch
P1xievampr
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm looking to volunteer at a breastfeeding group of some sort. My local one is online at the moment, however I've emailed them and asked if i could shadow in any way, no reply. I need some experience for midwifery which I'm hoping to get into next year. Any other ideas? Plus I'm under 18, so some places won't let me volunteer.
ILoveSunsets
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Where do you live? You could ask for a short term placement in a maternity unit as some hospital accept this is you are interested in taking that route.
P1xievampr
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
My local NHS Trust is not allowing placements at the moment, plus if i applied, it would take about 6 months to even be considered. Way past when my application is due.
Cancelled Alice
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Do Midwifery courses require work experience that directly relates to working with pregnant/ postnatal women or is experience in other types of health and social care roles sufficient? Because I know volunteers are being accepted elsewhere.
EOData
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Have you contacted the NCT https://www.nct.org.uk/ to see if there's anything they could offer you?
P1xievampr
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Cancelled Alice)
Do Midwifery courses require work experience that directly relates to working with pregnant/ postnatal women or is experience in other types of health and social care roles sufficient? Because I know volunteers are being accepted elsewhere.
It doesn't have to be specific. It can be in a health and social care setting
P1xievampr
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by EOData)
Have you contacted the NCT https://www.nct.org.uk/ to see if there's anything they could offer you?
What should I say?
EOData
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by P1xievampr)
What should I say?
Expain that you're hoping to train as a midwife and are looking for some experience. Say would like to attend one of their ante-natal classes/speak to an ante-natal teacher/speak to a breastfeeding counsellor -or ask what they could offer
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (44)
89.8%
No (5)
10.2%

Watched Threads