The Student Room Group

Ostracized by entire class?

At my University all work is group work. Your grade is a group grade. There was a narsissist in my group who decided he didn't like me and was rude to me all of the time. I brought up that he was rude and how it was making me feel and the narcsissist suddenly spun the whole narrative around. The next day no one would talk to me, people move away from me so now I sit on an empty desk surrounded by other empty desks. I have never felt so depressed in my life. I left the group. Because it is all group work the teacher is making me find another group. But I went from being top of the class and most desired student to work with to everyone rejecting me. I just got a maybe but it sounds like it will turn into a no. If it turns into a yes I think I will reject. Because I think struggling along by myself doing quadrouple the work is better than getting into a group where people dont really want me and see me in a negative like. It seems like recipe for another drama. I think I can pull off doing work alone anyway especially because my mental health will be better away from all the drama of this stupid class. Anyway, what do you guys think? Also, how do I stay emotionally strong when getting treated so badly? Every day I am crying and terrified to enter class.
If I could offer you any advice, as hard as it may feel/be, continue to go to class. Don’t isolate yourself. If you feel uncomfortable, wait until you have your new group assigned and you can go and join them and get on with them instead. The thing is, the other groups might not be aware why you are sat alone, only your group and so they might think your trying to do some work or something and don’t want to bother you. Plus if they are already in groups they are probably unaware of what’s going on around them so go into your new group and continue to be the old dedicated you.

Showing up to class and making an effort will not only build your strength, it will get easier each time you go in and to your old group it will look to them like you don’t really give a **** what they say! It will look like your not phased by their crap! Don’t let them affect your learning experience, they will get bored of themselves eventually and before you know it this will be a distant memory and you will have your new group to work with!

You do get some really weird and annoying people at uni, I hardly made any friends from my actual course! But I realised I’m not there to make lots of friends, I’m there to learn.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending