The Student Room Group

Drug dealing flatmate

Hi there,

Just seeking some advice really.

I live in a house which is made up of 5 people and it is a known fact that one of our house mates is consuming large quantities of drugs. We have been aware of the weed for sometime and was immediately noted when they first moved in as you could smell it through the house but what has really drawn our concern is the growing of mushrooms in there bedroom.

A range of equipment has been privately couriered to the house address inclusive of a air ventilator machine of some sort which arrived in a massive box. We can hear the machine running 24 hours and this inevitably seen our bills increase. It not like we can see what is actually going on in their private space but they have confirmed out their own mouth they are infact growing mushrooms.

This isn't a person that anyone knows personally well and their has been a natural intimidation by this person. Approaching them over this subject is not so comfortable. We are concerned about the safety in a shared house, and ultimately would like them to move on if they would like to continue this lifestyle.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Original post by Olessya
Hi there,

Just seeking some advice really.

I live in a house which is made up of 5 people and it is a known fact that one of our house mates is consuming large quantities of drugs. We have been aware of the weed for sometime and was immediately noted when they first moved in as you could smell it through the house but what has really drawn our concern is the growing of mushrooms in there bedroom.

A range of equipment has been privately couriered to the house address inclusive of a air ventilator machine of some sort which arrived in a massive box. We can hear the machine running 24 hours and this inevitably seen our bills increase. It not like we can see what is actually going on in their private space but they have confirmed out their own mouth they are infact growing mushrooms.

This isn't a person that anyone knows personally well and their has been a natural intimidation by this person. Approaching them over this subject is not so comfortable. We are concerned about the safety in a shared house, and ultimately would like them to move on if they would like to continue this lifestyle.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bit of a rubbish situation for you...as they say..if he goes down you go down together...where do you live? I would say you have several options but that you need to take some action rather than nothing at all...it sounds beyond, just smoking weed which is annoying enough...do you live in Private rented? Report to landlord? Report to uni reps etc so he is in the sh*t with uni...should not be growing at uni ffs...report to police? Or tell him your not happy move out or cease doing before you take action...go as a collective to whatever choice you take!
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Bit of a rubbish situation for you...as they say..if he goes down you go down together...where do you live? I would say you have several options but that you need to take some action rather than nothing at all...it sounds beyond, just smoking weed which is annoying enough...do you live in Private rented? Report to landlord? Report to uni reps etc so he is in the sh*t with uni...should not be growing at uni ffs...report to police? Or tell him your not happy move out or cease doing before you take action...go as a collective to whatever choice you take!

Thanks for your response. We live in private accomodation, our land lord lives over seas. The landlord isn't always the most responsive unfortunately. The house is made up of students and working professionals. The one responsible for the drug involvement is the only one not study or working and is supported on a benefit. Their day is spent very much in their room but always a range of different people who come over. Would their be any benefit to contacting the local council given they approve supporting benefits? Would you know?
Original post by Olessya
Thanks for your response. We live in private accomodation, our land lord lives over seas. The landlord isn't always the most responsive unfortunately. The house is made up of students and working professionals. The one responsible for the drug involvement is the only one not study or working and is supported on a benefit. Their day is spent very much in their room but always a range of different people who come over. Would their be any benefit to contacting the local council given they approve supporting benefits? Would you know?

Potentially, but they are a bit useless. I actually used to work in counter fraud at the department of work and pensions and we used to get a lot of referrals from council's, of logs of complaints from people they had received of drug use. Just referring it on to us- then we'd refer it on further, tedious process and little would come of it, certainly not immediate action as wrong as it is. I honestly think the police are your best bet. Even ringing them, and saying your situation, that you live with it and feel uncomfortable etc as it is shared accommodation, probably get you the fastest solution as it is essentially a criminal matter. Even though your landlord lives abroad, you could email and inform of your intention to inform the police prior to doing anything maybe to, give them a chance to take action their side first
Call the police, explain the situation fully- best bet imo. Don't implicate yourself though, the druggo should be handled not you xD
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Ax Sleepy
Why would u snitch tho,
Just shows that the world is made up of mostly snakes:rolleyes:

The OP doesn't like it xD

Personally I wouldn't snitch someone out if they're doing drugs themselves and are content with it/not bothering anyone else/not a danger to themselves, but they're clearly bothered by it and with it being illegal, snitching is a good way to get rid of the problem.

Personally I hate the smell of marijuana and it makes me queasy: I'd snitch on anyone who regularly made me deal with it. Just a shame that you can't get someone taken off for smoking...
There's also a difference between smoking and whatever doing it and leaving someone to it, and then bringing it a load of equipment to sell it..if their house gets raided people coming in and out etc doesn't look great on anyone in the house, oh I had no idea that was going on 🙄
Plus **** sharing electric bills with them 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending