The Student Room Group

wanting to drop out

heya, i was wondering if anyone has any advice for dropping out of university? I'm in my first term of 2nd year (at Durham) and just really not enjoying it. What would my options be? would I be able to bail now and take a year out then continue 2nd and 3rd year next year? Can I transfer to online?

Any advice/stories anything at all would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Original post by Anonymous
heya, i was wondering if anyone has any advice for dropping out of university? I'm in my first term of 2nd year (at Durham) and just really not enjoying it. What would my options be? would I be able to bail now and take a year out then continue 2nd and 3rd year next year? Can I transfer to online?

thanks

most unis let you take an interruption year (basically a gap year in between your studies if you have a reason for wanting to take a break, such as mental health issues.

why aren't you enjoying it? I'm in a similar position except i'm first year, but this is my second time trying uni and I'm thinking maybe uni just isn't for me
Reply 2
Not OP but I'm in first year and decided uni isn't for me. I don't like the teaching style and don't have a passion for my course (cybersecurity). Thinking of interrupting/withdrawing.
(edited 2 years ago)

thanks

The only people who can tell you what your options are are your personal tutor/student advisors at your university. If you want to interrupt your studies for a year, you'd need a reason, and it begs the question: "If you aren't enjoying it now, what will taking a year out change about that?" I would imagine that transferring to purely online delivery will depend on whether there is a distance-learning version of your degree already in place, which for a lot of courses isn't available at the same university.

thanks

Hi,
Have you already had a gap year or is this the first time your considering dropping out?
If your really not enjoying yourself in Uni and want to find more of something you love and want to keep doing then dropping can be an option but I am not sure if Universities will allow you to drop out the second time - unless your completely leaving Uni.
Reply 5
Hi,
Have you already had a gap year or is this the first time your considering dropping out?
If your really not enjoying yourself in Uni and want to find more of something you love and want to keep doing then dropping can be an option but I am not sure if Universities will allow you to drop out the second time - unless your completely leaving Uni.

Hey, this would be my first time considering dropping out. I'm just really having a rough time
most unis let you take an interruption year (basically a gap year in between your studies if you have a reason for wanting to take a break, such as mental health issues.

why aren't you enjoying it? I'm in a similar position except i'm first year, but this is my second time trying uni and I'm thinking maybe uni just isn't for me

If possible, would you be able to message me as I’m looking for help regarding dropping out (:
May I ask what subject you are studying? I'm just really curious lol
Original post by Amy240310
If possible, would you be able to message me as I’m looking for help regarding dropping out (:

messaged you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending