The Student Room Group

Long-term relationship troubles

Basically I've bin with my partner for 15 years we have two children and live together, just wondering if anyone's bin through something similar, I love her so much , but we've had a few problems the last few years due to me drinking and working , she also works alot which take alot of her time up , a few month ago we had a break up for a month or two , in that time she slept with someone I know quite well and Basically i thought I could get over it but it's all I think about and it's broke my heart, like I say I adore this women and she's the mother to my children, I just can't stop thinking about her sleeping with someone eles , is there anyway I can get over it as its affecting our relationship bad , I'm drinking and going out alot wich also is talking it's toll on the relationship, I just can't get over the fact the women I've loved for 15 years has done this , I'm far from perfect at all but I'm just asking if anyone eles has bin through something similar, I love the bones of her but I just can't get it out my head no matter how much I try , is it even possible for me to get over this ?
Thanks guys
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Basically I've bin with my partner for 15 years we have two children and live together, just wondering if anyone's bin through something similar, I love her so much , but we've had a few problems the last few years due to me drinking and working , she also works alot which take alot of her time up , a few month ago we had a break up for a month or two , in that time she slept with someone I know quite well and Basically i thought I could get over it but it's all I think about and it's broke my heart, like I say I adore this women and she's the mother to my children, I just can't stop thinking about her sleeping with someone eles , is there anyway I can get over it as its affecting our relationship bad , I'm drinking and going out alot wich also is talking it's toll on the relationship, I just can't get over the fact the women I've loved for 15 years has done this , I'm far from perfect at all but I'm just asking if anyone eles has bin through something similar, I love the bones of her but I just can't get it out my head no matter how much I try , is it even possible for me to get over this ?
Thanks guys

You won't get many people on this site who have been through this as it's mostly populated by young teens and uni students.

You didn't sit down and do the mature thing of discussing the issues with the relationship; you were on a break. Did you set boundaries on what could happen during this time? Have you talked to her now, instead of with random strangers on the internet?
As has been said already, you're not going to find many people on this site who have been in a relationship for 15 years or more. I have and there are some others, but I haven't experienced something like this. Clearly you need to communicate these issues to her, but there are clearly also more problems here than just that. Honestly I would recommend that you both see a relationship counsellor, if not for any other reason than the last time you both agreed to do something to try to take the pressure of this situation it actually ended up making things worse, at least for you. Your heart is clearly in the right place, and I assume that hers is to, but it sounds to me like you both need help navigating these issues, hence why to my mind counselling is the obvious step here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending