The Student Room Group

Question about pre-settled status and year abroad

Hello, this is my first post on here, so I'm sorry if I'm posting this under the wrong forum board.

I'm an EU student on my 3d year at university and 3d year living in the UK, out of the 5 required to apply for settled status.
I've just received a very surprising offer to study my final 4th year abroad in a top university in the U.S., but I am very worried about the implications this will have on my pre-settled status.
I intend to seek a PhD in the U.K. or U.S. after my bachelor's, and while I will get to keep my pre-settled status for 2 years after my degree ends, I am worried I won't be able to apply for settled status, which means I may be unable to stay in the U.K. for a PhD with Home rates + funding.
What's worse, I am supposed to give a firm answer very soon (2-3 days) about whether I wish to take this amazing year abroad opportunity.

My questions are these:
a) Is there any chance my pre-settled status is not impacted by this absence as it is a part of my university course?
b) Alternatively, since according to the gov.uk website, a person with pre-settled status can stay outside the country for up to 12 months in exceptional circumstances, is there any way this year abroad could be considered an exceptional circumstance?

Thanks in advance!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by plasmidon
Hello, this is my first post on here, so I'm sorry if I'm posting this under the wrong forum board.

I'm an EU student on my 3d year at university and 3d year living in the UK, out of the 5 required to apply for settled status.
I've just received a very surprising offer to study my final 4th year abroad in a top university in the U.S., but I am very worried about the implications this will have on my pre-settled status.
I intend to seek a PhD in the U.K. or U.S. after my bachelor's, and while I will get to keep my pre-settled status for 2 years after my degree ends, I am worried I won't be able to apply for settled status, which means I may be unable to stay in the U.K. for a PhD with Home rates + funding.
What's worse, I am supposed to give a firm answer very soon (2-3 days) about whether I wish to take this amazing year abroad opportunity.

My questions are these:
a) Is there any chance my pre-settled status is not impacted by this absence as it is a part of my university course?
b) Alternatively, since according to the gov.uk website, a person with pre-settled status can stay outside the country for up to 12 months in exceptional circumstances, is there any way this year abroad could be considered an exceptional circumstance?

Thanks in advance!

Hi there,

Is the placement an integral part of your course? Have you applied for EU funding only for Tuition Fees?

Thanks,
Claire
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Hello, the issue has since been resolved, so I'm sorry for keeping this post up but frankly I am not aware of how to delete posts on here.
In short, the placement (which is an integral part of my course), according to my university International Student support team, will not conflict with my EU Pre-Settled status as a single period of up to 12 months can be spent outside the U.K. for different reasons, one of which is study.
In any case, thanks a lot for the reply!
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,

Is the placement an integral part of your course? Have you applied for EU funding only for Tuition Fees?

Thanks,
Claire
Original post by plasmidon
Hello, the issue has since been resolved, so I'm sorry for keeping this post up but frankly I am not aware of how to delete posts on here.
In short, the placement (which is an integral part of my course), according to my university International Student support team, will not conflict with my EU Pre-Settled status as a single period of up to 12 months can be spent outside the U.K. for different reasons, one of which is study.
In any case, thanks a lot for the reply!

Hi there,

That's great it has been resolved. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thanks, Amy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending