The Student Room Group

Masters after PGCE?

So I'm doing an undergraduate degree in primary education BA then after 3 years i have to do a PGCE to become a primary school teacher.

I am considering doing a masters afterwards as I've always been fascinated in psychology and like mfl.

Is it worth it?
Should i do it?
Is your undergrad an accelerated course? Or primary ed with QTS?
Original post by Bronfenbrennerzy
Is your undergrad an accelerated course? Or primary ed with QTS?

Unfortunately my primary ed is 3 years and it isn't qts thats why i have to do a PGCE afterwards
It's advised to go into teaching straight after PGCE so you don't forget or lose your skills.

Although you can do a masters part-time during your ECT years, it's going to be tough to juggle both.
Original post by Kentinho99
Unfortunately my primary ed is 3 years and it isn't qts thats why i have to do a PGCE afterwards

Don't do a PGCE if you're set on a masters and don't want to go into teaching straightaway.
Original post by Bronfenbrennerzy
Don't do a PGCE if you're set on a masters and don't want to go into teaching straightaway.

Ah thanks well i do want to go into teaching straight away basically but i really fancy doing a masters as well haha
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
It's advised to go into teaching straight after PGCE so you don't forget or lose your skills.

Although you can do a masters part-time during your ECT years, it's going to be tough to juggle both.

Ah right so best thing to do would be to do some teaching then come back to do a masters maybe?
Ah right so best thing to do would be to do some teaching then come back to do a masters maybe?

Either do your masters before your PGCE
or
Do your masters after you've taught for a couple of years.
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Either do your masters before your PGCE
or
Do your masters after you've taught for a couple of years.

Thanks i mean after my undergraduate degree I technically could become a TA for a while then do a PGCE and masters but again I mean paying all this money for uni just to become a TA it's questionable but again maybe if the only jobs at the time are at a supermarket maybe i should become a part time TA while doing either a masters or a PGCE
Ah thanks well i do want to go into teaching straight away basically but i really fancy doing a masters as well haha

I did a Masters after teaching for a few years - my school even paid for it ...
Thanks i mean after my undergraduate degree I technically could become a TA for a while then do a PGCE and masters but again I mean paying all this money for uni just to become a TA it's questionable but again maybe if the only jobs at the time are at a supermarket maybe i should become a part time TA while doing either a masters or a PGCE

No, it is not possible to work as a TA whilst doing a PGCE simply because the course is full-time.
It is up to you whether you want to solely work as a TA or do a masters after your BA. But generally it is not a good idea to leave a huge gap between completing your PGCE and securing an ECT role.
Original post by Muttley79
I did a Masters after teaching for a few years - my school even paid for it ...

Ah nice one what masters did you do
Ah nice one what masters did you do

It was related to Maths and pedagogy of teaching certain aspects e.g. problem solving.
Original post by Muttley79
It was related to Maths and pedagogy of teaching certain aspects e.g. problem solving.

Ah nice one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending