The Student Room Group

University advice

Hi, I hold offers from University of Leeds, Sheffield, Southampton, Bath for Management in Information management (MIS) and awaiting decision from Manchester. which one should I choose if I couldn't make it to Manchester considering the Student life , living cost and post study job opportunities.
I am more inclined to leeds / sheffield because of low living cost and good IT job opportunities in leeds and Manchester.
Please help
What's the rush. You've got almost 6 months to decide this.

Visit them and decide where YOU will thrive and be happiest.
Original post by akshay.singh96
Hi, I hold offers from University of Leeds, Sheffield, Southampton, Bath for Management in Information management (MIS) and awaiting decision from Manchester. which one should I choose if I couldn't make it to Manchester considering the Student life , living cost and post study job opportunities.
I am more inclined to leeds / sheffield because of low living cost and good IT job opportunities in leeds and Manchester.
Please help

Hi @akshay.singh96,
Congrats on all your offers! It sounds like you have many exciting opportunities to choose from!
I would highly recommend visiting these universities to get a better feel for what they have to offer. The student unions often have a lot of information to offer regarding student life, average living costs and employability rates. You can usually find a lot of this information on their pages.

As a current student at Uni of Southampton I can tell you a bit about student life here! We have over 400 societies and sports clubs, ranging from 'Cyber security society' to 'Mixed Lacrosse', there is something for everyone here. The main campus is just a 15 minutes walk from the local high-street, which has restaurants, shops and our famous nightclub 'Jesters'. Campus is also only a 20 minute bus ride from the main city centre which has tons to offer when you need a break from studying.
Regarding living costs, I found this university to be reasonable in comparison to others in the south. There are plenty of student housing options that range from £70-£110 per week not including bills, all within close vicinity to the university. We also have Aldi, Lidl, Sainsburys, Iceland and Waitrose within walking distance, so there are plenty of options!

I have included a link to a page the university has setup, it has videos about student life, living costs and subject talks. I recommend checking it out!
https://www.southampton.ac.uk/open-days/undergraduate/student-life-talks

I hope this all helps to create an insight into the University of Southampton and how you can find more information about your other university offers!
Please message if you have any further questions!

Carina :smile: - University of Southampton Ambassador
Original post by PQ
What's the rush. You've got almost 6 months to decide this.

Visit them and decide where YOU will thrive and be happiest.

Hey , Thanks for your reply
actually, I don't have 6 months
the deadline to pay the security deposit is approaching in February and also I cannot visit the universities since I am from Mumbai , India
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi @akshay.singh96,
Congrats on all your offers! It sounds like you have many exciting opportunities to choose from!
I would highly recommend visiting these universities to get a better feel for what they have to offer. The student unions often have a lot of information to offer regarding student life, average living costs and employability rates. You can usually find a lot of this information on their pages.

As a current student at Uni of Southampton I can tell you a bit about student life here! We have over 400 societies and sports clubs, ranging from 'Cyber security society' to 'Mixed Lacrosse', there is something for everyone here. The main campus is just a 15 minutes walk from the local high-street, which has restaurants, shops and our famous nightclub 'Jesters'. Campus is also only a 20 minute bus ride from the main city centre which has tons to offer when you need a break from studying.
Regarding living costs, I found this university to be reasonable in comparison to others in the south. There are plenty of student housing options that range from £70-£110 per week not including bills, all within close vicinity to the university. We also have Aldi, Lidl, Sainsburys, Iceland and Waitrose within walking distance, so there are plenty of options!

I have included a link to a page the university has setup, it has videos about student life, living costs and subject talks. I recommend checking it out!
https://www.southampton.ac.uk/open-days/undergraduate/student-life-talks

I hope this all helps to create an insight into the University of Southampton and how you can find more information about your other university offers!
Please message if you have any further questions!

Carina :smile: - University of Southampton Ambassador

Thank you so much Carina
i will have a look at it
Please help

Wow I applied to all these unis! But instead of Baths I have Strathclyde. Try thinking of a factor that is most important to you, for example if it's living cost pick the uni that fits that. If it's job-opportunities pick the uni that fits that. If you a split between two choices then maybe you can consider something different like the distance. Idk if this was helpful but I hope it was!
Reply 7
Please help

Hey,
I'm currently a first year student at Sheffield so thought you might appreciate my brutally honest review. I can't comment on post study job opportunities, just what its like being there now after a few months. I would say although it is quite a big city, it has more of a big town/ hometown feel, but maybe that's just because I come from Manchester. Honestly I find the city a bit more run down than expected, or any of the more new areas are a 30 min+ walk from the accommodation. I know people that have come from smaller towns find it amazing but for me it is lacking quite a bit in the social side. I find that the nightlife isn't great, you have west street but it is all bars not clubs, and the big clubs are all dotted around and far away which makes it hard to get to walking and taxis are expensive. You also have the student union but I only went out there once in freshers and it wasn't my cup of tea. The student village is lovely, all the accommodations are close together, however I personally find it inconveniently far from the Uni and the city centre. It is a half an hour walk and a lot of it is quite hilly, which personally I find makes it a chore to go into uni, it isn't convenient. However, a lot of the actual accommodation is refurbished and they have their own pub and shop in the student village which is really nice. I would make sure to visit a few times or for a few nights if possible, because you ideally want to experience the nightlife and going out around the city. For me it was my 2nd choice which I hadn't even really considered or looked at because I was convinced I would get into my 1st choice - don't do this. Make sure you are sure on wanting to be there because now after visiting my friends at other Unis I have found myself really wanting to go to Newcastle instead where the city is a lot more of what I wanted. It isn't a position you want to be in with that much money on the line.
Original post by alskldks
Hey,
I'm currently a first year student at Sheffield so thought you might appreciate my brutally honest review. I can't comment on post study job opportunities, just what its like being there now after a few months. I would say although it is quite a big city, it has more of a big town/ hometown feel, but maybe that's just because I come from Manchester. Honestly I find the city a bit more run down than expected, or any of the more new areas are a 30 min+ walk from the accommodation. I know people that have come from smaller towns find it amazing but for me it is lacking quite a bit in the social side. I find that the nightlife isn't great, you have west street but it is all bars not clubs, and the big clubs are all dotted around and far away which makes it hard to get to walking and taxis are expensive. You also have the student union but I only went out there once in freshers and it wasn't my cup of tea. The student village is lovely, all the accommodations are close together, however I personally find it inconveniently far from the Uni and the city centre. It is a half an hour walk and a lot of it is quite hilly, which personally I find makes it a chore to go into uni, it isn't convenient. However, a lot of the actual accommodation is refurbished and they have their own pub and shop in the student village which is really nice. I would make sure to visit a few times or for a few nights if possible, because you ideally want to experience the nightlife and going out around the city. For me it was my 2nd choice which I hadn't even really considered or looked at because I was convinced I would get into my 1st choice - don't do this. Make sure you are sure on wanting to be there because now after visiting my friends at other Unis I have found myself really wanting to go to Newcastle instead where the city is a lot more of what I wanted. It isn't a position you want to be in with that much money on the line.

Hey ,
Thanks a lot for taking the time to share your experience at Sheffield
I appreciate each word you have mentioned above and would consider all the factors mentioned while deciding the uni
Thanks a ton :smile:
Original post by SummerHazeee
Wow I applied to all these unis! But instead of Baths I have Strathclyde. Try thinking of a factor that is most important to you, for example if it's living cost pick the uni that fits that. If it's job-opportunities pick the uni that fits that. If you a split between two choices then maybe you can consider something different like the distance. Idk if this was helpful but I hope it was!

Hey,
Thanks a lot. being an International student securing a job post my studies is the most important factor so I guess I will consider the job factor above everything
thanks for your time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending