The Student Room Group

Can I lose weight without exercising?

I'm trying to lose weight at the moment but i always have issues when it comes to exercising, like I might stick at it for a few days but then I have no motivation. I can control my diet and i have no issues with sticking to it but when it comes to exercise I can just never stick at it. So would i still lose weight if i still eat well but don't exercise?
Reply 1
Original post by O.via
I'm trying to lose weight at the moment but i always have issues when it comes to exercising, like I might stick at it for a few days but then I have no motivation. I can control my diet and i have no issues with sticking to it but when it comes to exercise I can just never stick at it. So would i still lose weight if i still eat well but don't exercise?

No way, exercise is must element. First of all mange diet and then exercise work out in free time daily routine.
The OP wrote this:

Original post by O.via
I can control my diet and i have no issues with sticking to it

Whereupon you wrote this:

Why lecture her about her diet when she has specifically said that there is no problem with it? At least read the OP if you're going to wag your finger at someone.
Original post by O.via

Yes. 99% of losing weight is down to what you eat: exercise is useful in weight management, i.e keeping your weight under control once you're at a healthy and stable weight. Exercise doesn't contribute meaningfully to weight loss in the vast majority of people who have anything more than a couple of kg to lose, mainly because you'd have to do so much of it to cause a meaningful energy deficit if you don't change your diet. Furthermore, lots of exercise can actually be counterproductive when losing weight because it can increase appetite and make sticking to an energy-reduced diet harder. Even worse, you sometimes feel like you 'deserve' that food if you've exercised hard.

tl;dr - exercise is not an important factor in weight loss; making sure your diet has a sufficient energy reduction and sustaining that reduction for long enough is the key thing. Exercise is, of course, important in and of itself in a healthy lifestyle and can really help in controlling your weight.
Reply 4
You can definitely lose weight without exercise, but it will be harder and more likely unhealthy. Even just doing a 10 minute workout in your bathroom before your shower, or walking or riding a bike instead of other types of transport where you can, you can definitely find small ways to be more active without wearing yourself out. When I started riding a bike because I couldn’t afford public transport a few years ago I felt so much more healthier and lost a healthy amount of weight for it too!
Reply 5
I do walk occasionally (but my parents are kinda strict so i can't go out and walk by myself a lot of the time and I'm only child so I can't go with a sibling) and the majority of the time I have to take the bus because my college is about an 1hr30 minutes walk away. Like i said previously I don't have an issue with my diet but i appreciate the constructive feedback.
Reply 6
Original post by Reality Check
Yes. 99% of losing weight is down to what you eat: exercise is useful in weight management, i.e keeping your weight under control once you're at a healthy and stable weight. Exercise doesn't contribute meaningfully to weight loss in the vast majority of people who have anything more than a couple of kg to lose, mainly because you'd have to do so much of it to cause a meaningful energy deficit if you don't change your diet. Furthermore, lots of exercise can actually be counterproductive when losing weight because it can increase appetite and make sticking to an energy-reduced diet harder. Even worse, you sometimes feel like you 'deserve' that food if you've exercised hard.

tl;dr - exercise is not an important factor in weight loss; making sure your diet has a sufficient energy reduction and sustaining that reduction for long enough is the key thing. Exercise is, of course, important in and of itself in a healthy lifestyle and can really help in controlling your weight.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Reality Check

Spot on this. Weight comes down to Calories in vs Calories out, nothing more, nothing less.
The only bonus exercise can provide for weight loss is it increases the amount of calories your body burns, which may make it easier to be in a calorie deficit, however RealityCheck is right, this can lead to more hunger and the feeling of "i deserve this".

Have a look into TDEE Calculators (these are not an exact science) but will give you a rough idea of how many calories your body burns on a daily basis and factors in things like exercise/weight/body fat %/height/age and gender - all of which contribute to your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure)

The safest and most sustainable way to lose weight is to try and maintain a calorie deficit of 500 cals a day, this equals 3500cals a week (roughly 1lb).
Many things can make your weight fluctuate daily, like water retention, when you weigh yourself in the day (likely to be heavier at end of day compared to when you first wake up) etc so use the mirror just as much as you use the scales, if not more!

tl:dr What matters most is eating in a calorie deficit and making sure your diet is sustainable and adjustable (as your weight comes down your TDEE will drop as well, meaning your cals in will need adjusted OR you can do exercise to increase your cals out). Its all a balancing act.
Reply 8
Original post by O.via
I do walk occasionally (but my parents are kinda strict so i can't go out and walk by myself a lot of the time and I'm only child so I can't go with a sibling) and the majority of the time I have to take the bus because my college is about an 1hr30 minutes walk away. Like i said previously I don't have an issue with my diet but i appreciate the constructive feedback.

So how old are you, what is your current height and weight?
You won’t be able to build much/any muscle but you can lose fat if you just diet well.
You don’t have to as long as you’re eating well but it does make it easier as you can lose fat and gain muscle while staying at the same weight.
Reply 11
Original post by Surnia
So how old are you, what is your current height and weight?

17, 5'5 and 175 pounds last time I weighed
If you want to lose weight without exercising, simply reducing your meal portion size can be a big help. Along with eating slowly and drinking plenty of water, taking these simple steps can help you cut calories and lose weight. Eat a nutritious diet including fruits and leafy vegetables.

Quick Reply

Latest