The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

When you first get them, it's fine for like the first 2 hours and then it HURTS. I personally couldn't even bite on my back teeth for like the first 3 days or so. Make sure you take ibuprofen/paracetamol and invest in soup. Your teeth are probably gonna feel like they're shaky and are gonna fall out, they also might make a cracking sound if you touch them but it's just because they're moving like they're meant to, it's fine.
After a few appointments, it won't hurt that much anymore when you get them adjusted
If you have to wear bands, wear them because I did and now I'm getting my braces off next week.
Also if they're really painful try ice cream/holding really cold water in your mouth because the wires are heat activated so it like releases the pressure and stops the pain.

Personally, I'm glad I got them because I no longer look like a rabbit
Original post by thrivingfrog
When you first get them, it's fine for like the first 2 hours and then it HURTS. I personally couldn't even bite on my back teeth for like the first 3 days or so. Make sure you take ibuprofen/paracetamol and invest in soup. Your teeth are probably gonna feel like they're shaky and are gonna fall out, they also might make a cracking sound if you touch them but it's just because they're moving like they're meant to, it's fine.
After a few appointments, it won't hurt that much anymore when you get them adjusted
If you have to wear bands, wear them because I did and now I'm getting my braces off next week.
Also if they're really painful try ice cream/holding really cold water in your mouth because the wires are heat activated so it like releases the pressure and stops the pain.

Personally, I'm glad I got them because I no longer look like a rabbit

When you bit on something, I’m guessing it hurt. How long until after your braces were you able to start eating normal again?
Original post by CaptainDuckie
When you bit on something, I’m guessing it hurt. How long until after your braces were you able to start eating normal again?

Like 3 to 5 days? Don't try and eat crisp though (not like your meant to anyways) within the first like 2 weeks though because that pain was awful as my upper and lower braces kept hitting each other
Like 3 to 5 days? Don't try and eat crisp though (not like your meant to anyways) within the first like 2 weeks though because that pain was awful as my upper and lower braces kept hitting each other

Are you 100% satisfied with the results?
Are you 100% satisfied with the results?

95%
One of my bottom front teeth is a bit higher than the rest of them, however I think it's just a bigger tooth. In regards to straightness etc 100%
95%
One of my bottom front teeth is a bit higher than the rest of them, however I think it's just a bigger tooth. In regards to straightness etc 100%

Did any little gaps in your teeth close? (Last question lol)
Is it rare and is there any unexplained reason if you had braces but your teeth goes back into its original position I met my orthodontist last year and she told me it was due to the growth of my jaw and one possible way to get braces again was through the painful jaw surgery 😱 or actually wait until like I’m in my late prime years I’m only 21 like 25 before checking again to then get braces does anyone know why does that happen :/ because I went through a lot of pain to have my teeth straighten for about a year and half only for it to go back to how it was before braces and having to have 8 teeths out in total before getting braces ;/. I know it was bad and soo painful.
Original post by Anonymous
Is it rare and is there any unexplained reason if you had braces but your teeth goes back into its original position I met my orthodontist last year and she told me it was due to the growth of my jaw and one possible way to get braces again was through the painful jaw surgery 😱 or actually wait until like I’m in my late prime years I’m only 21 like 25 before checking again to then get braces does anyone know why does that happen :/ because I went through a lot of pain to have my teeth straighten for about a year and half only for it to go back to how it was before braces and having to have 8 teeths out in total before getting braces ;/. I know it was bad and soo painful.

Did you wear your retainers?

Every single time. Otherwise they wouldn’t have said my jaw wasn’t growing.

Although

My brother barely wears his and his is bang-on straight.
Every time I had them tightened, I couldn't eat for like a day or two. Had to resort to soft foods like noodles and soup.
Your teeth/gum will also feel tender(?) lol idk how to describe it.
(edited 2 years ago)

I have no idea then lol
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Every time I had them tightened, I couldn't eat for like a day or two. Had to resort to soft foods like noodles and soup.
Your teeth/gum will also feel tender(?) lol idk how to describe it.

Thank you for your response mate. Yeah, I like noodles anyways lol

Does it feel like you’re bleeding or ?
Did any little gaps in your teeth close? (Last question lol)

I mean I had mine for overcrowding so my issue was I had no gaps, but ik my friends' did ahaha
As someone who’s going to get braces soon (adult), I want to know your experiences with them.

I know how braces work, as I have researched but If you have any advice regarding braces, please let me know. Thanks. :yy:

i have braces, and boy do the tightenings hurt!! you can't eat for a few days so i'd recommend having soft foods such as soups and mashed potatoes. for me, ice cream really helps as it numbs the pain. you do get used to the braces really quickly so they're not a pain in that case. as soon as you get your braces on, you might feel the wire catching your gum - which can sometimes be painful - but i'm fairly sure your dentists give you wax to put on the wire.

braces look pretty swag too - just don't pick the most bizarre colours for your brace!
I mean I had mine for overcrowding so my issue was I had no gaps, but ik my friends' did ahaha

Fairs, fairs. Thanks for your thoughtful response, I appreciate your time. :yy:
Thank you for your response mate. Yeah, I like noodles anyways lol

Does it feel like you’re bleeding or ?

Not really. They just feel soft, like they're gonna fall out or something.

Oh also!! Make sure to use the wax they give you!! It stops them from irritating the inside of your lips.
Original post by harlz_chalamet
i have braces, and boy do the tightenings hurt!! you can't eat for a few days so i'd recommend having soft foods such as soups and mashed potatoes. for me, ice cream really helps as it numbs the pain. you do get used to the braces really quickly so they're not a pain in that case. as soon as you get your braces on, you might feel the wire catching your gum - which can sometimes be painful - but i'm fairly sure your dentists give you wax to put on the wire.

braces look pretty swag too - just don't pick the most bizarre colours for your brace!

The only problem is, I can’t eat ice cream :emo: as I am in cutting season rn lol. But I’ll try that cold water trick @thrivingfrog suggested.

Thank you for your response :smile:
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Not really. They just feel soft, like they're gonna fall out or something.

Oh also!! Make sure to use the wax they give you!! It stops them from irritating the inside of your lips.

Alright, thank you. :yy:

Latest