The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You could also look at Invisalign, it generally only takes half the time conventional braces do, it is invisible and less painful. Also easier to brush / floss.
Be prepared to eat (drink?) lots of soup, the only thing I could the first few days after getting them tightened.
Original post by Anonymous
You could also look at Invisalign, it generally only takes half the time conventional braces do, it is invisible and less painful. Also easier to brush / floss.

Can that be an alternative to braces to straightening teeth again.

True, this is something I will have to talk to my orthodontist about in the consultation to see if my teeth are appropriate for them.
Can that be an alternative to braces to straightening teeth again.

yh
Original post by terrysorange
Be prepared to eat (drink?) lots of soup, the only thing I could the first few days after getting them tightened.

Be prepared for headaches from getting your braces on/tightened (I personally took pain relief before the appointment just in case). If the wires starts sticking out a lot at the back (from the front tightening) ask your orthodontist to cut it in your next appointment.

Chopping things up into smaller pieces is the way to go :yep:

Try not to use whitening toothpaste.
Original post by KA_P
Be prepared for headaches from getting your braces on/tightened (I personally took pain relief before the appointment just in case). If the wires starts sticking out a lot at the back (from the front tightening) ask your orthodontist to cut it in your next appointment.

Chopping things up into smaller pieces is the way to go :yep:

Try not to use whitening toothpaste.

Why not whitening toothpaste ?
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Why not whitening toothpaste ?

In case it whitens the surrounding tooth but not the area of tooth behind the bracket if you get me?

So when you get the braces off, there might be slight discoloration.

I'd double check with your orthodontist though!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by KA_P
In case it whitens the surrounding tooth but not the area of tooth behind the bracket if you get me?

So when you get the braces off, there might be slight discoloration.

I'd double check with your orthodontist though!

Good point, extremely fair point lol.

Thanks for your response and time mate. :yy:
I had braces. They hurt like a ***** in the first week (I couldn't eat anything apart from soup in the first 2 days). They can hurt after being tightened but not as much as the first week. I recommend interdental brushes to replace floss and clean between brackets.
I never had braces before, and I desperately need braces. My saving point (one of them, thank you very much) is my youthfulness.
Good point, extremely fair point lol.

Thanks for your response and time mate. :yy:

:hugs:
Original post by hungrysalamander
I had braces. They hurt like a ***** in the first week (I couldn't eat anything apart from soup in the first 2 days). They can hurt after being tightened but not as much as the first week. I recommend interdental brushes to replace floss and clean between brackets.

You're on PRSOM 😭

Silly question probably but when you use the interdental brushes, does the pressure from this brush hurt your teeth/gums ?
(edited 2 years ago)
Silly question probably but when you use the interdental brushes, does the pressure from this brush hurt your teeth?

Not really, your gums could bleed at the start if you don't floss regularly. It feels the same as floss. There are a few sizes to choose from, I used the smallest one to floss between teeth and a bigger one (I think it was 0.8mm) to clean between brackets.
If you have a problem with your retainer, go back and get them adjusted as soon as possible before the practice becomes private only and refuses to see the NHS patients they saw before :nothing:
Not really, your gums could bleed at the start if you don't floss regularly. It feels the same as floss. There are a few sizes to choose from, I used the smallest one to floss between teeth and a bigger one (I think it was 0.8mm) to clean between brackets.

Sweet. Thanks for the insightful response. :yy:
Original post by Mesopotamian.
If you have a problem with your retainer, go back and get them adjusted as soon as possible before the practice becomes private only and refuses to see the NHS patients they saw before :nothing:

I’m pretty sure the practice I’m doing it in is already private-only.
I’m pretty sure the practice I’m doing it in is already private-only.

True, you’re over 18.

Latest