The Student Room Group

i dont know what to do

now...this is a hard situation but ill try to sum it up....I'm in a LDR with a guy who doesn't have a degree and runs a small business...i feel like I'm settling but everything about him is perfect to me except his occupation...am i settling?
It's not settling unless you think you're better than him. What's bothering you about him not having a degree and running a small business? Is it not compatible with your life goals, potential profession, distance?
Original post by Elisabeth Hughes
It's not settling unless you think you're better than him. What's bothering you about him not having a degree and running a small business? Is it not compatible with your life goals, potential profession, distance?

well..i dont think im better than him but the thing is i have a degree and he is quiet older than me(and i feel like he should be doing better)....i mean,we are very compatible with regards to life goals but its mainly our professions and distance and age gap
You feel like he should be doing better? What, you think he should have a multi-national billion dollar turnover business instead of a small business?

There's a very strong argument tp say that a guy with no degree with their own small profitable business is doing FAR better in life that someone with a PhD that's an employee in an organisation. Even if the PhD guy is earning more per year. Because of the skills and experience that you get from running your own business, the opportunity for growth, the freedom that comes from being your own boss.

If his lack of degree is the biggest downside that he has then my strong recommendation would be to move to live with him as soon as you can.
Andrew tate would tell you to do pushups rn
Do you have dating dealbreakers that involve being a uni graduate?
Or financial connected dealbreakers; about minimum income or savings level, being a property owner, having a full time job in a specific industry?
If so, stick to your dealbreakers and don't consider dating incompatible guys.

Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you.
Long distance relationships are difficult enough without feeling that you are settling for an incompatible partner due to a lack of alternative viable dating options or wasting your time with someone who has less ambition/qualifications/income/assets and career prospects than you do.
Good luck!
Original post by Anonymous
well..i dont think im better than him but the thing is i have a degree and he is quiet older than me(and i feel like he should be doing better)....i mean,we are very compatible with regards to life goals but its mainly our professions and distance and age gap

I'd say if you're already having these doubts then you have your answer. Unfortunately, it's not nice, but it will definitely save you both a lot of heartbreak in the future. However, I'm not sure The Student Room is qualified to give (quality!) relationship advice, more guidance. Do what you feel is best, and good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending