The Student Room Group

Weird question

This is a really weird question but do you call your mum by a different name? People usually call their parents as mum/ dad or mother/father but do you call them by a nickname?

Scroll to see replies

I speak Somali at home so I usually call my mum and dad "Hooyo" and "Aabo"
If I'm feeling like being pretentious I'll call them Mother and Father but no I don't use any nicknames
I don't really call my parents anything when I talk to them. In my phone, my mum is entered by her name, not "mum".
Reply 3
Original post by hyacinth77
I speak Somali at home so I usually call my mum and dad "Hooyo" and "Aabo"
If I'm feeling like being pretentious I'll call them Mother and Father but no I don't use any nicknames

Thank you for answering.
Reply 4
Original post by black tea
I don't really call my parents anything when I talk to them. In my phone, my mum is entered by her name, not "mum".

So if you need something from your parents do you not call them?
Original post by Cloudster
So if you need something from your parents do you not call them?

I very rarely ask them for anything tbh. But when I do, I just say "Hi" on the phone, I don't actually call them anything.
(edited 1 year ago)
Thank you for answering.

No problem!
sometimes I call her mumsie
do you? :smile: @Cloudster
No, I always call them mum and dad
mama and baba since i’m Sudanese and we speak Arabic in Sudan. i never call them “mum” or “dad” (i used to call them mummy and daddy up until like year 8 💀)
Original post by Obolinda
do you? :smile: @Cloudster

well I’m Cantonese so I call my mum and dad in Cantonese.
Original post by black tea
I very rarely ask them for anything tbh. But when I do, I just say "Hi" on the phone, I don't actually call them anything.

I am also similar, I think it’s been a little over a year since I have called my parents
Original post by rosy_posy
No, I always call them mum and dad

Thank you for answering
Original post by nightingalegend
mama and baba since i’m Sudanese and we speak Arabic in Sudan. i never call them “mum” or “dad” (i used to call them mummy and daddy up until like year 8 💀)

Calling your parents mummy and daddy is quite common. I know people who are nearly 20 who still call their parents mummy and daddy
Calling your parents mummy and daddy is quite common. I know people who are nearly 20 who still call their parents mummy and daddy

Did they go to private school by any chance :curious:
My mum’s name isn’t mum?
Original post by rosy_posy
Did they go to private school by any chance :curious:

Haha yes they did
Haha yes they did

That explains it then :u:
Mater and pater. :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest