The Student Room Group

What happens if a student from the EU is expelled?

Out of curiosity, what happens if a student from the EU is expelled from a UK university?

Just a little context, in September a student joined the uni and joined our group of friends. Introduced themselves as mid twenties studying first year undergrad, which at the time didn't seem right because they looked almost twice that but brushed it off. When I met them, they were one of those people that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up but I couldn't say exactly what it was about them that made me feel so threatened. Their outward appearance, and genuinely on the inside too, is of someone who is extremely dumb (a word I hate using but there is no other description), completely incapable of looking after themselves in any capacity, unable to search for answers to their own question online, and a myriad of others. Yet at the same time, they're reasonably intelligent, speak foreign languages fluently, and manipulative. They know exactly what to say and do and pretend to be to get other people to do what they want.

Over the course of the year, this person has been reported to the SU and student services mostly by girls for a wide, wide range of allegations. Everything from sexual harassment and remarks against girls, following people, attacking other students for little to no reason (punched a student in the face on a trip and shoved someone to the floor at a club) bearing in mind their peers are around 18 years old, going to the nightclub alone and just standing in the corner watching people, and being shifty as, if you understand.

It got to the point where at the end of the year they were called to a student misconduct hearing (the list of stuff they've been reported for could write a book so I haven't listed even a fiftieth here), and although staff couldn't tell students what had happened, I know that they were handed a lifetime ban from ever attending social spaces on campus and social events hosted by the university (parties, cafes, etc). It was later uncovered that this person was actually nearly 40. Not mid twenties like they claimed throughout the year. And not just this, but just before December, was also handed a lifetime ban from ever being a director of or owning a business in the UK by Companies House.

Now to my question, this student started living in Ireland right before the UK left the EU so they didn't have a visa when they applied for this university. Because they were not here on a visa, what happens if they are expelled? I believe visa-students would be told they need to go home, but what would happen in this case? And would they be able to apply to a UK uni again? Note: they no longer have an address in Ireland so their only UK address was the address they had living on campus. Apologies for the long text
Does it matter? And why would they be expelled since they already had some other ban?

Also why would them being older make a difference, absent the other matters? There are lots of mature students at uni. They might've felt the need to introduce themselves as being younger than they are to put up with judgemental school leavers...

Additionally, how would you know the outcome of the misconduct service, and how and why would you know they were banned from being the director of a company in the UK? Sounds like borderline stalking on your behalf because neither of those are things the uni would notify anyone about.

In any case these are serious allegations which appear to have already been dealt with so I can't see what reason or benefit there would be in rehashing this unless you were said student, but you've indicated it's another student.
Original post by artful_lounger
Does it matter? And why would they be expelled since they already had some other ban?

Also why would them being older make a difference, absent the other matters? There are lots of mature students at uni. They might've felt the need to introduce themselves as being younger than they are to put up with judgemental school leavers...

Additionally, how would you know the outcome of the misconduct service, and how and why would you know they were banned from being the director of a company in the UK? Sounds like borderline stalking on your behalf because neither of those are things the uni would notify anyone about.

In any case these are serious allegations which appear to have already been dealt with so I can't see what reason or benefit there would be in rehashing this unless you were said student, but you've indicated it's another student.

PRSOM
Original post by artful_lounger

Out of curiosity since most students outside of the UK will now be here on visas. Because to many of the girls, it was scary being sexually pursued by someone who was nearly twice your age and doesn't take 'no' for an answer, hence the searching about who they really were began. I know it seems like stalking but it wasn't. It was things being let slip in conversations over the course of the year from many people who had found out things on their own, hence it all coming together. The Companies House ban was let slip in a conversation they tried to cover up, and the social ban was a result of the misconduct hearing. Staff were only allowed to tell us this bit to reassure many of the girls that they wouldn't be at the end of year party, as before this, there were a lot of people who weren't going to go out of worry that they'd be there. Many were wondering if a case like this would be a permanent ban from the university and we wouldn't see them again, or that they'd be able to restart at another university. Most of the wondering was how it would work since they did not have a visa. There was some concern about if they would continue to be a threat to other young ladies
Original post by Anonymous
Out of curiosity since most students outside of the UK will now be here on visas. Because to many of the girls, it was scary being sexually pursued by someone who was nearly twice your age and doesn't take 'no' for an answer, hence the searching about who they really were began. I know it seems like stalking but it wasn't. It was things being let slip in conversations over the course of the year from many people who had found out things on their own, hence it all coming together. The Companies House ban was let slip in a conversation they tried to cover up, and the social ban was a result of the misconduct hearing. Staff were only allowed to tell us this bit to reassure many of the girls that they wouldn't be at the end of year party, as before this, there were a lot of people who weren't going to go out of worry that they'd be there. Many were wondering if a case like this would be a permanent ban from the university and we wouldn't see them again, or that they'd be able to restart at another university. Most of the wondering was how it would work since they did not have a visa. There was some concern about if they would continue to be a threat to other young ladies

But also thank you for taking the time to reply. And I wanted to add, age should never make a difference. I think everyone should be welcome to study no matter their age or where they're from. It was the fact that it was a lie in the attempt to sleep around, and my concern was around consent. Someone may consent to sleep with a 25 year old, but they didn't consent to sleep with someone who was actually nearly 40, if you understand
To be honest this sounds very much like "they are coming over from Europe to sexually harass our girls and women!" which is pretty ugly rhetoric used by the deranged pro-Brexit Daily Mail reading subsection of the populace (compare also the rhetoric about people immigrating from Mexico to the US during the 2016 presidential election).

Literally none of these things have anything to do with them being from the EU or being on a visa, and has no bearing on the question "what happens to a student from the EU if they are withdrawn from the university", which can happen for a variety of reasons none of which really make a difference. In fact you spent more time going over all these alleged misdeeds than actually posing the question itself.

Very suspect, frankly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending