The Student Room Group

Clearing options for better grades

I am in a good position with all 5 of my uni's offering a place (inc my aspirational Exeter & Loughborough) I have firmed and insured 1 x aspirational 1 x within my reach. If i change my mind with these offers owing to better grades and find a different university where my grades meet a clearing place can this be done? My understanding is that there is a reject button for the first time this year owing to cancellation of adjustment. Do i need to apply for a clearing number in readiness for this OR can a clearing number only be issued once i have declined my firm/insurance
The most important thing to mention is that it will be very unlikely to get an improved university than the likes of Exeter in clearing for nearly all subjects. Leading universities will have very few vacancies in clearing especially this year given the expected grade inflation and fewer places being available due to the number of deferrals from last years excessive Teacher Assessed Grades. Even in a normal year there are 1/2 dozen or so universities who dont enter clearing. Last year 17 of the RG universities didnt enter clearing and others had very few courses available so the idea you will be able to grade up is highly unlikely.
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
The most important thing to mention is that it will be very unlikely to get an improved university than the likes of Exeter in clearing for nearly all subjects. Leading universities will have very few vacancies in clearing especially this year given the expected grade inflation and fewer places being available due to the number of deferrals from last years excessive Teacher Assessed Grades. Even in a normal year there are 1/2 dozen or so universities who dont enter clearing. Last year 17 of the RG universities didnt enter clearing and others had very few courses available so the idea you will be able to grade up is highly unlikely.

Thank you. The system has not worked for my year group. Many straight A friends of mine got no offers at all. I consider myself fortunate to have put my research and strategy together with a good outcome. Chances are I will be ok and will go for my firm but it’s just a matter of planning ahead really
Original post by Raynerm
I am in a good position with all 5 of my uni's offering a place (inc my aspirational Exeter & Loughborough) I have firmed and insured 1 x aspirational 1 x within my reach. If i change my mind with these offers owing to better grades and find a different university where my grades meet a clearing place can this be done? My understanding is that there is a reject button for the first time this year owing to cancellation of adjustment. Do i need to apply for a clearing number in readiness for this OR can a clearing number only be issued once i have declined my firm/insurance

You only get a clearing number when you reject. I wouldn't risk it this year.
(Original post by Raynerm)Thank you. The system has not worked for my year group. Many straight A friends of mine got no offers at all. I consider myself fortunate to have put my research and strategy together with a good outcome. Chances are I will be ok and will go for my firm but it’s just a matter of planning ahead really

It istn just a problem for your year. The fact is that so called straight A friends wouldnt have been straight As in previous years. It is the problem of teachers being too irresponsible to grade correctly with farcical Teacher grades and predicted grades. In the last exam year 75% did not reach their predicted grades. The fact is that the majority graded A were actually Bs or Cs.

In terms of last years grades 23% achieved A* compared to 8% in 2019 and earlier. The 23% is roughly the equivalent to the amount who had the A* and A grade in earlier exam years. The students graded A would have achieved B in earlier years.
Reply 5
(Original post by Raynerm)Thank you. The system has not worked for my year group. Many straight A friends of mine got no offers at all. I consider myself fortunate to have put my research and strategy together with a good outcome. Chances are I will be ok and will go for my firm but it’s just a matter of planning ahead really

It istn just a problem for your year. The fact is that so called straight A friends wouldnt have been straight As in previous years. It is the problem of teachers being too irresponsible to grade correctly with farcical Teacher grades and predicted grades. In the last exam year 75% did not reach their predicted grades. The fact is that the majority graded A were actually Bs or Cs.

In terms of last years grades 23% achieved A* compared to 8% in 2019 and earlier. The 23% is roughly the equivalent to the amount who had the A* and A grade in earlier exam years. The students graded A would have achieved B in earlier years.

I could not agree more!! Its really very annoying. My school got a lot of pressure from parents to increase predicted grades in order to secure university offers. My school would not do this as they felt it wasnt right. It was best to give the correct prediction. Trouble has been that the same approach has not been matched elsewhere and as you say TAG's have thrown spanner in the works.

Incredibly unfair on students where schools were honest too. In a local Private school they just gave predicted grades - I had helped one boy in Year 11 and he was never going to be an A level Maths grade A* candidate ... but that's what he got.
If you get excellent grades I'd advise you to take a gap year and reapply to 5 new choices in the autumn for 2023 entry.
This will give you time to think about what you really want to do, and to visit Unis, go to Open Days and make decisions in a more considered way than in the panic of Clearing.

However, the other thing to think about is that 'higher entry requirements' does not mean 'better course' or mean that you will like that course or Uni more than the Uni/course you have already Firmed.
Reply 8
Original post by McGinger
If you get excellent grades I'd advise you to take a gap year and reapply to 5 new choices in the autumn for 2023 entry.
This will give you time to think about what you really want to do, and to visit Unis, go to Open Days and make decisions in a more considered way than in the panic of Clearing.

However, the other thing to think about is that 'higher entry requirements' does not mean 'better course' or mean that you will like that course or Uni more than the Uni/course you have already Firmed.

Thank you very much. Yes I agree. I have a short list which is made up of league position/TEF award/subject satisfactory feedback. I looked on activity with BUCS too as I am quite sporty and although I am not Olympic standard I do enjoy it. My list is the compromise/combination of all of these factors. There are only a couple uni’s I didn’t apply and I doubt they will go into clearing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending