The Student Room Group

Moved home - which devolved gov to apply to?

Hello,

I'm English and I've lived in England all my life but I am permanently moving to Northern Ireland in April 2023 so my Husband can be closer to his family. Therefore I am not moving to study.

I want to start uni (Ulster) as a mature student in Sept 2023 but I'm totally at odds about if I should apply to SF England or SF Northern Ireland.

I have done my research and I've worked out that my total student debt post-graduation would be significantly less using SFNI.

SF England - Total debt £56,868
(3 x Tuition £9,250 = £27,750) + (3 x Maintenance £9,706 = £29,118)

SF Northern Ireland - Total debt £28,140
(3 x Tuition £4,630 = £13,890) + (3 x Maintenance £4,840 = £14,250)

Note that Tuition Fee's are lower than England for 'NI students'. Maintenance in England is £9,706 but £8,315 for NI, however a portion of NI maintenance is not repayable (grant). So a little less maintenance is given but still a better deal than England overall.

I am in a unique position. Who do I apply to? I'm guessing SFNI because I'm not moving to study. I will already be a resident of NI and purchased a house months before starting Uni.

I would be interested to hear from any English people who study in Scotland as it is a very similar situation.

Thanks,
Original post by uniguy01
Hello,

I'm English and I've lived in England all my life but I am permanently moving to Northern Ireland in April 2023 so my Husband can be closer to his family. Therefore I am not moving to study.

I want to start uni (Ulster) as a mature student in Sept 2023 but I'm totally at odds about if I should apply to SF England or SF Northern Ireland.

I have done my research and I've worked out that my total student debt post-graduation would be significantly less using SFNI.

SF England - Total debt £56,868
(3 x Tuition £9,250 = £27,750) + (3 x Maintenance £9,706 = £29,118)

SF Northern Ireland - Total debt £28,140
(3 x Tuition £4,630 = £13,890) + (3 x Maintenance £4,840 = £14,250)

Note that Tuition Fee's are lower than England for 'NI students'. Maintenance in England is £9,706 but £8,315 for NI, however a portion of NI maintenance is not repayable (grant). So a little less maintenance is given but still a better deal than England overall.

I am in a unique position. Who do I apply to? I'm guessing SFNI because I'm not moving to study. I will already be a resident of NI and purchased a house months before starting Uni.

I would be interested to hear from any English people who study in Scotland as it is a very similar situation.

Thanks,

Hi there,

When you apply for funding we consider where you're living when you apply. So, yes - since you'll be living in Northern Ireland permanently you should apply to Student Finance Northern Ireland.

You may have already seen this, but you can find out more about this here: https://www.studentfinanceni.co.uk/

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending