The Student Room Group

I really want abs

Hi guys
I’ve always wanted abs and I’m struggling to get them. I do at home workouts almost everyday which involve doing 50 sit ups. I also have lowered my calorie intake and never eat junk food just 3 meals (sometimes 2 if I don’t have time to eat/wake up late) and the occasional snack. What’s the most effective way of losing belly fat/getting abs?
And also how do I maintain a flat stomach whilst growing the glutes?
Original post by CuriousK
Hi guys
I’ve always wanted abs and I’m struggling to get them. I do at home workouts almost everyday which involve doing 50 sit ups. I also have lowered my calorie intake and never eat junk food just 3 meals (sometimes 2 if I don’t have time to eat/wake up late) and the occasional snack. What’s the most effective way of losing belly fat/getting abs?

Are you female? If so women find it a lot harder to get abs than men do (genetics). You cant target fat loss so its better to do whole body work outs than stuff aimed at your stomach
Reply 2
Original post by flamingolover
Are you female? If so women find it a lot harder to get abs than men do (genetics). You cant target fat loss so its better to do whole body work outs than stuff aimed at your stomach

Yes I am a female. Thanks I will check some out
They say that abs are built in the kitchen. That's partially correct as in order for the abdominal muscles to show, you generally need a not too high bodyfat percentage. But it's also easier if you have bigger ab muscles, so working them out (so that they grow) will also help. You'll also need to gradually increase the amount of exercise you do in your workouts over time for them to remain effective. How long have you been working out for?
you can get your desire abs by doing hardworking it's not that easy
Reply 5
Original post by Smack
They say that abs are built in the kitchen. That's partially correct as in order for the abdominal muscles to show, you generally need a not too high bodyfat percentage. But it's also easier if you have bigger ab muscles, so working them out (so that they grow) will also help. You'll also need to gradually increase the amount of exercise you do in your workouts over time for them to remain effective. How long have you been working out for?

About six months
About six months

You may need to increase the amount of exercise you do in your workouts. I'd generally recommend a full body workout rather than just targeting one single muscle. There are likely lots of good fullbody workouts you can find online. Some exercises (like squats and press ups), although not primarily ab exercises, do work them too.
Hi guys

About six months

Sorry to say that the abs you're probably looking for require years of consistent effort. It's a lifestyle, and lifestyles overtime affect the body and appearance. The appearance of strong flat defined abs/pelvis/obliques need to be built and maintained. A couple of sit-ups isn't gonna do it. Your whole body needs to understand the exercise; your veins and muscles connect from head to toe, so you need to do holistic exercises regularly. Recreational or competitive running and/or boxing, swimming/water sports, gymnastics, even just cartwheeling around the house and garden for an hour. Climbing (rock climbing, stair training, hell even tree climbing) strengthens the entire body and core muscles. Cross fit/aerobics mixed with acrobatics/high intensity is best. You can do this right in your gaff, star jumps mixed with frog jumps, mountain climbers and burpees and planks while using small weights. If you want sure then only eat a salad that day, but I wouldn't shy away from pizza and burgers and pasta still. Eat up.

Btw I don't agree with diet, unless you're currently overweight. I know petite and plus sized people with horrible diets but who have visible muscle and vein definition, because they stay active doing the above. You can eat healthy all you want but if you're wasting those nutrients by not exercising or staying active you're as good as eating maccas. You can eat greasy chips and that as well--as long as you stay active to burn some of that out.

I also don't believe that "genetics" are involved either, because people can grow and improve and end up looking different than their relatives or their own long time self.

Quick Reply

Latest