The Student Room Group

Citalopram - when to take/panic

I've been on this medication for nearly a week now. I can't say my mood has lifted although i know it's early doors and it can take 3-4 weeks for the drug to lift depressed mood. I have a phobia when it comes to public speaking, when doing presentations and being asked to speak out loud in class discussions and such like. It's a phobia i've had for a while and all being well, i'll have some kind of group therapy to attend, if not, i'll be put onto a rather long CBT waiting-list.

I did used to use the beta-blocker, propranolol, to calm down the physical symptoms of panic attacks, i don't use this now, haven't done for about 3-4 weeks. I did come off it at one point because of feeling drowsy from using it. It did work quite well in terms of controlling symptoms of panic.

I've not yet been in a panic-triggering situation (for me) just yet, in the last week, but just how effective is Citalopram in regards to panic attacks and controlling the symptoms? I'm anxious about what tomorrow may involve at my university (there's some negative thinking for you :s-smilie: :rolleyes:)

Additionally, I've been taking Citalopram in the morning but i'm considering changing to take it in the evening, before i go to sleep. So far it has made me feel tired and generally lethargic for much of the time, so i've worked out that perhaps i'm best taking it at night, essentially sleeping off such effects. I know you're recommended to take the medication around about the same time every day but i think it may be best to make this transition...

I'm also curious to know what could happen, if say, i exercise for one hour in the evening, then take a Citalopram tablet, not long after, before going to bed. I know exercise triggers endorphins and increases serotonin, or something to this effect, so is there a real danger of too much serotonin if i was to medicate with an SSRI not long after having done an intense period of exercise?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anonymous

Additionally, I've been taking Citalopram in the morning but i'm considering changing to take it in the evening, before i go to sleep. So far it has made me feel tired and generally lethargic for much of the time, so i've worked out that perhaps i'm best taking it at night, essentially sleeping off such effects. I know you're recommended to take the medication around about the same time every day but i think it may be best to make this transition...

I'd say get in touch with your GP/psychiatrist (whoever prescribed it for you) and ask if it's ok to change the time you take them at.
Citalopram is an awesome drug for relieving anxiety etc. I had emetophobia and it certainly helped me control it, but I think it's important to combine it with exposure therapy! Are you getting this?

Definitely take it at night. It won't make a difference, or at least it didn't when I changed. I think 3-4 weeks is optimistic too, I wouldn't be disappointed if it takes longer.

I don't see a danger of exercising on citalopram. However if you're really worried check with your GP.
Reply 3
Also citalopram can be prescribed for panick attacks/anxiety as well as depression, so if you find citalopram works for you it should be effective. As you've already mentioned, it can take a few weeks for antidepressants to work, so they might not start to help with your anxiety for a few weeks either.

About tomorrow, although it's easier said than done, just try and stay calm, take deep breaths, if you have to do any sort of presentation ask if you can stay in your seat instead of standing at the front of the class, maybe try and talk to your tutor before the lesson.
Reply 4
I don't have a presentation tomorrow nor may i have to speak out loud in class, but i'm anxious that i may have to at some point. The beauty of irrational thinking :frown: :rolleyes:

Ideally, exposure therapy would come in the form of attending a group session, where we all had a phobia relating to public speaking, and we could all practice and improve in this 'safe' setting. My GP knows of my phobia and told me she'd look into finding something that could be appropriate. I need to get some experience under my belt as i've been incredibly avoidant over the years and as i'm due to start a professional job at some point not in the distant future, i'm having (and need) to deal with my phobia right now. I've made life very hard for myself due to the past decisions i've made.

I've tried psychotherapy and I don't believe it's appropriate for me, in going about improving how i deal with my specific phobia.
I am currently taking Citalopram and believe me, it works.

When I first started taking it I explained to my doctor that I didn't feel any better, in fact I felt worse in the first week but then all of a sudden there were significant changes. My anxiety was still there but it was easier to control and I didn't feel as sick nor was I having as much IBS. They really were a god send.

Like you I also feel tired, I was diagnosed with post viral fatigue which is where my anxiety came from. I switched from taking my tablets in the morning to taking them before I go to bed and there has been no problem with this at all.

These tablets have been a godsend and I really can't recommend them enough. I feel like a large part of my life that was missing I am gradually getting back. I was misdiagnosed time after time, insulted by so called medical professionals and told there was nothing wrong with me (before I ended up in hospital with what the doctor said could have killed me had I waited any longer.)

Whatever happens, don't give up. You are not alone in this, I took a lot of comfort in finding out a friend of mine is also in the same boat and even taking the same medication.

I have posted this as anonymous but if you want to speak to me I have no problem with posting with my username so you can contact me, I just don't feel the need to share my problems with everyone for no reason but it is different if you can actually help someone.

Good luck.
Reply 6
I take mine in the morning, because the other people I know who take citalopram do. There's no reason it has to be taken in the morning, conventional wisdom is that tricyclic antidepressants are sedating so taken at night, and SSRIs can cause sleep difficulties in some people so are taken in the morning. I know someone whose tried it both in the morning and at night, they reverted to morning in the end as they did have a few difficulties sleeping though not many - but worth moving it back for.

If you do want to move when you take it, don't just go from morning to night in one go - take it 4 hours later one day, then another 4 hours the next etc. until you're at the right sort of time.
Reply 7
OP here.

I've been taking Citalopram for one week now. No significant changes in my mood but it has only been a week. For the last 3 days, i've been taking the tablet in the evening, before i go to sleep, and my sleep has been OK and not disrupted.

A concern i have is that my stomach feels off in the morning, i don't know whether the medication is causing this or my worries about the day ahead and what it may bring...probably both, if not more of the latter.

I know i need to be eating enough and eating well as diet is important and the last thing i want is being sick in the morning - which i have been, twice, in the last week.

I've been able to swim a few times this week without any ill-effects, which is good.
Citalopram did nothing for me, but I'm glad it's helping you.

It doesnt really matter if you take it morning or night, although most people take it in the morning.

I doubt exercise will affect it.
Reply 9
Anonymous
OP here.

I've been taking Citalopram for one week now. No significant changes in my mood but it has only been a week. For the last 3 days, i've been taking the tablet in the evening, before i go to sleep, and my sleep has been OK and not disrupted.

A concern i have is that my stomach feels off in the morning, i don't know whether the medication is causing this or my worries about the day ahead and what it may bring...probably both, if not more of the latter.

I know i need to be eating enough and eating well as diet is important and the last thing i want is being sick in the morning - which i have been, twice, in the last week.

I've been able to swim a few times this week without any ill-effects, which is good.

Have you eaten something just before you take the tablet? It might not be the same for Citalopram, but with Fluoexetine you are supposed to take it just after a meal because it reduces feelings of nausea. Might help...
Reply 10
FizzBitch
Have you eaten something just before you take the tablet? It might not be the same for Citalopram, but with Fluoexetine you are supposed to take it just after a meal because it reduces feelings of nausea. Might help...

At the moment i'm taking it in the evening before i go to bed. When i have been sick, it's been in the morning. I've not felt confident enough to have weetabix and milk for the last week - ever since i started medication - thought it may be too heavy for my stomach to take. I now have some toast in the morning and some fruit, although even having the toast is a bit of an ask. I'm just paranoid and anxiety-ridden atm, my stomach feeling queasy probably has little or nothing to do with Citalopram itself. Meh...
Reply 11
ununpentium
Citalopram did nothing for me, but I'm glad it's helping you.

It doesnt really matter if you take it morning or night, although most people take it in the morning.

I doubt exercise will affect it.

OP here. It's done nothing for me so far although i have only been using Citalopram for a week.

Why is it that most people take it in the morning? I did look at the leaflet that comes with the medication and it doesn't specifically mention when the best time of the day to take it is. Does it make a difference? If so, how? You may not know - i'll ask my GP at my next appointment next week.
Anonymous
OP here. It's done nothing for me so far although i have only been using Citalopram for a week.

Why is it that most people take it in the morning? I did look at the leaflet that comes with the medication and it doesn't specifically mention when the best time of the day to take it is. Does it make a difference? If so, how? You may not know - i'll ask my GP at my next appointment next week.

You may be feeling squeamish in the morning because you haven't quite slept off the side effects. It doesn't really matter when you take it, just tailor it to your needs. If you find you can't sleep at night, take it in the morning so that will wear off. If you find it makes you drowsy (as I did) take it at night to take advantage of that, and it also means you experience less side effects as you sleep through them.

Take the pills with food. I can't recommend that enough. Have a slice of toast or something beforehand. To be fair though, anxious stomach + a new drug is probably what's giving you the problem.

I reckon you should be on this drug for 2 months without benefit before coming off. The levels of it have to build up in your brain, it's a cumulative effect. Even then you may need to up the dose, not come off it. I didn't see improvement until max dose 60mg.

Make sure you take care of your teeth btw. I had to have two taken out and virtually every tooth in my mouth filled because of dry mouth :s-smilie:
Reply 13
Anonymous
At the moment i'm taking it in the evening before i go to bed. When i have been sick, it's been in the morning. I've not felt confident enough to have weetabix and milk for the last week - ever since i started medication - thought it may be too heavy for my stomach to take. I now have some toast in the morning and some fruit, although even having the toast is a bit of an ask. I'm just paranoid and anxiety-ridden atm, my stomach feeling queasy probably has little or nothing to do with Citalopram itself. Meh...

What I meant is that you should eat something in the evening before you take the tablet, even if it is right before you go to bed. It might control the side effect of nausea, so you won't feel sick when you wake up.
Reply 14
OP here.

How have you felt once the anti-depressant started working? I'd just like to know what changes you've felt/been through...

when it has worked, how do you feel, physically and mentally?

did you feel your mood improving gradually, did your mood improve almost on an overnight basis...???

so far, no noticeable mood change for me although it's only been about 10 days i've been using Citalopram.
I'm on those tablets. Been taking them for along time now and they havn't harmed me. They do take a while to kick into action though. My doctor said it can take a few weeks.
Reply 16
I was on citalopram a while ago. It did make me feel really really lethargic, but worked well for anxiety and depression.

I think it's just a normal side effect, but don't hesitate to check with your GP :smile:
Reply 17
I've been on Citalopram for a few years now, i did give up a while back for a couple of months and I slowly noticed a difference. I think of it as cutting off the highs and lows and stabalising your mood.
I've been put on this recently for anxiety and depression, the nausea is the only problem i've had so far. Hope it starts to work soon.
Reply 19
OP here.

I've been on Citalopram for two weeks now and i have my first check-up appointment this afternoon. It's done nothing so far regarding my mood.

What could my appointment with the doctor this afternoon involve? What could/will he ask me?

The drug makes me feel lethargic although i was feeling like this before i was on the drug, lethargic, low, depressed...so nothing new here...

Latest

Trending

Trending