The Student Room Group

Would you still be with someone if they were homophobic?

Let’s say you two are straight. So their homophobia won’t exactly affect you. But would you still be in a romantic relationship them?

It would also be interesting to know about the perspective of LGBT people: what would you do if your friends chose to be in a relationship with a homophobic person, although the friend isn’t homophobic themselves? Would you still be in a friendship with them or not?

Side note: I say homophobia, but really I mean against LGBT.
For me, I will still be in a friendship with my friends. Moreover, I will try to affect the person who is homophobic. I think we must do our part to help to change the situation that some people(or many people) are homophobic. Maybe you can have a dinner or go to a party with your friend and your friend's friend, listen what he/she say know what he/she think, and then express your view and your basis. Sometimes just one sentence will change a person. Good luck!
i think it depends;

i don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong with disagreeing with a movement. i don’t subscribe to the LGBTQ movement; for my own personal reasons (i think the movement can occasionally be harmful to individuals in it, and i have other reasons too). however, i don’t hate or disrespect individuals who are homosexual, etc. i don’t vocalise my views either, as my intention isn’t to harm anyone with my views.

everyone is entitled to an opinion: for instance, i’m not religious (or atheist) but i can hold a conversation and friendship with someone who is. you don’t have to agree with people to respect them, or treat them as a human. now,, to me, a determining factor of whether i’d hang out with someone who’s “homophobic” is:

- are they openly homophobic and intend to hurt those who are a part of the LGBTQ+ community
- are they someone who makes their “hate” towards the community their personality
- is it someone who has “justified” reasons (they hate the movement for their occasional toxicity) or do they hate them because “it’s not natural” “it’s wrong” (unjustified)

ultimately it’s your choice, but if it’s something that affects how you feel, makes you unhappy and uncomfortable, then i think you should cut it out. there’s a difference between having an opinion and being a jerk and wanting to harm others.
I guess as you cant help who you fall in love with its tricky, HOWEVER, I dont feel I could go out / be serious with a woman who is homophobic (or racist etc) as what consenting adults choose to do is their business and nobody else’s.
Are you using the term "homophobic" literally- to describe those with an irrational fear of homosexual individuals or homosexuality? :confused:
Or those who actively hate homosexuality/homosexuals/LGBTQ+ movements and are in the habit of behaving like loudmouths, hooligans, toxic religious fanatics, their henchmen or their other allies on the payroll?
No I have spent enough time with people with cancerous and poisonous opinions, I can do better.
no. i can't see myself ever being attracted to a homophobe and i'm sure i would find this out very quickly because i don't do small talk, basically only talk about politics, philosophy and law. some of my best friends are gay as well so this hypothetical homophobe would surely reveal herself very quickly, and if you ask me to choose between my best friend and a potential girlfriend my best friend always wins. bros before hoes.

i have had 'friends' in the past that are homophobes but i use that word very loosely because i keep them at arm's length; don't have much in common with them in general.
Original post by ROTL94 3
No I have spent enough time with people with cancerous and poisonous opinions, I can do better.

PRSOM
No because my daughter is gay
Absolutely not.
Original post by londonmyst
Are you using the term "homophobic" literally- to describe those with an irrational fear of homosexual individuals or homosexuality? :confused:

Both these two

(Not the third one- which I cut out)
Original post by londonmyst

Oops, you meant this as one whole option, not two separate options. Anyways, yes, this
I'm sorry, but what is this question? Of course I'd stay friends with someone I know rather than defending someone I don't know. Yeah, I'd explain to my friend that it's wrong to say such harmful stuff, but I wouldn't go OTT.
Original post by Anonymous
Both these two

(Not the third one- which I cut out)

Probably not.

Because I believe that irrational fear or obsessing over random strangers private lives is usually indicative of an unhealthy and very negative mentality.
I have seen too much of this with friends from school and the most overbearing of busybody senior coworkers.
How about someone who argues that there's no objective public interest in (1) handing billions of taxpayers' money to registered participants in same-sex relationships, and/or (2) treating registered procreative and non-procreative relationships as identical in law?
Original post by Justvisited
How about someone who argues that there's no objective public interest in (1) handing billions of taxpayers' money to registered participants in same-sex relationships, and/or (2) treating registered procreative and non-procreative relationships as identical in law?

Yes.
I have plenty of friends and coworkers who believe that.
Most of the latter are furious goldstar lesbian radfems.
I am gay so it would be problematic.

Back when I thought I was straight it was still a dealbreaker.
(edited 1 year ago)
Let’s say you two are straight. So their homophobia won’t exactly affect you. But would you still be in a romantic relationship them?

It would also be interesting to know about the perspective of LGBT people: what would you do if your friends chose to be in a relationship with a homophobic person, although the friend isn’t homophobic themselves? Would you still be in a friendship with them or not?

as an lgbt person, if my friend decided to be in a relationship with someone homophobic/transphobic, im not gonna lie it would suck. what it says is that someone can look past the fact that they hate me for existing. if my friend was in a relationship with someone who hated me because i actually DID something wrong, it wouldn't be a big deal. if my friend was in a relationship with someone who hated me just because of who/what i am, i wouldn't be able to trust that friend.

absolutely not haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending