The Student Room Group

Applying for student finance now that I have been diagnosed...

I have recently been diagnosed with ADHD and am on meds now.

I would like to try my hand at uni again now that I am on my meds and can maintain focus and organisation.

However, during my undiagnosed years I attempted 3 different university courses and failed the first year of the first course and dropped out halfway through the other two courses.

This means that I have used up the standard allocation of sfe funding including the grace year.

Is there any way to apply for student finance again on medical grounds now that I have been diagnosed and am being treated?

I feel that with the meds and the proper support I will have a fairer shot at getting a degree.

Does anyone know how to apply for more funding in this way?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by NAP_DA_BAWSE
I have recently been diagnosed with ADHD and am on meds now.

I would like to try my hand at uni again now that I am on my meds and can maintain focus and organisation.

However, during my undiagnosed years I attempted 3 different university courses and failed the first year of the first course and dropped out halfway through the other two courses.

This means that I have used up the standard allocation of sfe funding including the grace year.

Is there any way to apply for student finance again on medical grounds now that I have been diagnosed and am being treated?

I feel that with the meds and the proper support I will have a fairer shot at getting a degree.

Does anyone know how to apply for more funding in this way?

Hi there, what university and course are you looking to apply for? When is your course due to start? Thanks, Karen
Original post by SFE Karen
Hi there, what university and course are you looking to apply for? When is your course due to start? Thanks, Karen

Hi SFE Karen,

I am planning to study Computing with integrated foundation year at the University of Buckingham starting Jan 2024.

Kind Regards,
NN
Hi SFE Karen,

I am planning to study Computing with integrated foundation year at the University of Buckingham starting Jan 2024.

Kind Regards,
NN

Hi there,

Thank you for confirming.

You will be eligible for the Maintenance Loan, it is just the Tuition Fee Loan that is affected by your previous study.

If you are able to provide evidence for your previous study year(s) such as a letter from your GP that would confirm what happened, when this happened and how this affected your studies, we can look into awarding you with the funding you require for any previous study years affected. You would just upload that evidence to your account with a cover letter to explain that you wish to apply under Compelling Personal Reasons for your affected year(s).

Thanks, Clare
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi there,

Thank you for confirming.

You will be eligible for the Maintenance Loan, it is just the Tuition Fee Loan that is affected by your previous study.

If you are able to provide evidence for your previous study year(s) such as a letter from your GP that would confirm what happened, when this happened and how this affected your studies, we can look into awarding you with the funding you require for any previous study years affected. You would just upload that evidence to your account with a cover letter to explain that you wish to apply under Compelling Personal Reasons for your affected year(s).

Thanks, Clare

Hi Clare,

Thank you so much for your response! I am currently in the process of writing my cover letter for CPR and have some questions.

Could you please specify in detail what must be included in the letter from the GP or Private Healthcare Provider?
(I am unsure on the level of detail required.)

Would it be sufficient enough for the doctor to just say ADHD would have affected me during those years or must they specify how and in what way it could have affected me?

I really look forward to your response.

Kind Regards,
NN
Hi Clare,

Thank you so much for your response! I am currently in the process of writing my cover letter for CPR and have some questions.

Could you please specify in detail what must be included in the letter from the GP or Private Healthcare Provider?
(I am unsure on the level of detail required.)

Would it be sufficient enough for the doctor to just say ADHD would have affected me during those years or must they specify how and in what way it could have affected me?

I really look forward to your response.

Kind Regards,
NN

Hi NN,

It needs to be signed and dated on headed paper and it needs to confirm what happened, when it happened and how this directly affected your studies.

Thanks, Clare
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi NN,

It needs to be signed and dated on headed paper and it needs to confirm what happened, when it happened and how this directly affected your studies.

Thanks, Clare

Hi Clare,

The effects of ADHD are not as straight forward or immediate as other medical issues or circumstances, it is more of a constant battle, I was not in a good place due to this for the past 5 years.

How would you recommend the letter be structured to accommodate for this?

I would really appreciate as much help, details and guidance as possible as I really want to be able to get a degree.

Kind Regards,
NN
Hi Clare,

The effects of ADHD are not as straight forward or immediate as other medical issues or circumstances, it is more of a constant battle, I was not in a good place due to this for the past 5 years.

How would you recommend the letter be structured to accommodate for this?

I would really appreciate as much help, details and guidance as possible as I really want to be able to get a degree.

Kind Regards,
NN

Hi NN,

That would be your doctor that would explain that, we cannot advise of what they should tell us. Only that we need to know what happened, when and how it affected your studies. We can't advise of the specific contents of the letter other than it needs to be signed and dated on headed paper also.

Thanks, Clare
Hi,
Can I ask if you were successful in getting student finance?
Original post by billawarra
Hi,
Can I ask if you were successful in getting student finance?

Hiya,

Unfortunately, I did not actually get around to doing this. I got in touch with them and they told me to send a gp letter in, however, the meds weren't working at all, none of them, so I decided it would be a waste to try again.

I hope it goes better for you!

Latest

Trending

Trending