The Student Room Group

My First Lesson

Hi Everyone,
What were your first driving lessons like? I’ve got mine coming up soon and I wanted to know what I should be expecting from my first lesson. I’ve managed to read some stuff online but I would like to also hear about some lived experiences.
😁😁😁
Original post by MissHokage
Hi Everyone,
What were your first driving lessons like? I’ve got mine coming up soon and I wanted to know what I should be expecting from my first lesson. I’ve managed to read some stuff online but I would like to also hear about some lived experiences.
😁😁😁

Well I had two different instructors and both had different teaching methods. One taught me how to get the biting point (manual car) and was a lot more theoretical teaching, before letting me drive around the town basically. I stalled a lot because I wasn't actually used to driving. The second one, taught me stuff and made me pull up and set off multiple times. It made me understand how to check my mirrors better, to be aware of my surroundings more, and it was more practice, practice practice of the tinier things.

I learnt to enjoy driving with the second instructor, because the first instructor made me bored quickly.
Original post by notstudyingatall
Well I had two different instructors and both had different teaching methods. One taught me how to get the biting point (manual car) and was a lot more theoretical teaching, before letting me drive around the town basically. I stalled a lot because I wasn't actually used to driving. The second one, taught me stuff and made me pull up and set off multiple times. It made me understand how to check my mirrors better, to be aware of my surroundings more, and it was more practice, practice practice of the tinier things.

I learnt to enjoy driving with the second instructor, because the first instructor made me bored quickly.

Nice so your 2nd Driving instructor was more hands-off and taught you practically than theoretically right?

Edit: if this is so would you say a driving instructor who teaches you practically is better than one who repeated goes over theory w/o giving you multiple chances to practice
(edited 1 year ago)
Nice so your 2nd Driving instructor was more hands-off and taught you practically than theoretically right?

Edit: if this is so would you say a driving instructor who teaches you practically is better than one who repeated goes over theory w/o giving you multiple chances to practice

Yeah exactly...the 2nd driving instructor let me get the small stuff down before going on to main roads, and doing lessons on main roads.
Original post by notstudyingatall
Yeah exactly...the 2nd driving instructor let me get the small stuff down before going on to main roads, and doing lessons on main roads.

Awesome. Thank you so much for answering my questions 😁
It depends on the instructor.
I had 2 instructors as well. My first one barely taught me anything. And on my first lesson with him it was just talking to me about everything. Then i drove down a straight road for 5-10 minutes (where there were barely any other cars).
My second instructor taught me a lot more. It was slightly different in that id already had some lessons with my first instructor by this point so i wasnt a complete novice. Plus he wanted to see what i already could and couldnt do. But once id gone through a few basic bits, i drive round, practicing pulling away and stopping, driving round different roads, corners etc (i.e. not just straight roads).
Original post by Emma:-)
It depends on the instructor.
I had 2 instructors as well. My first one barely taught me anything. And on my first lesson with him it was just talking to me about everything. Then i drove down a straight road for 5-10 minutes (where there were barely any other cars).
My second instructor taught me a lot more. It was slightly different in that id already had some lessons with my first instructor by this point so i wasnt a complete novice. Plus he wanted to see what i already could and couldnt do. But once id gone through a few basic bits, i drive round, practicing pulling away and stopping, driving round different roads, corners etc (i.e. not just straight roads).

Oh okay so would you say that you benefitted more from your second instructors teaching style?

Edit: If it’s alright with you, I just wanted to also ask why you changed instructor? (If your not comfortable sharing that’s alright)
(edited 1 year ago)
Oh okay so would you say that you benefitted more from your second instructors teaching style?

Edit: If it’s alright with you, I just wanted to also ask why you changed instructor? (If your not comfortable sharing that’s alright)

Yeah I deffo benefitted more from my second instructors style. I actually did things with my second instructor. I got out there, drove round different place and actually did and practiced stuff.
I changed instructors because I barely did anything with my first instructor. And he was regularly "on holiday". At one point I only had one lesson on 5 weeks because he was always "on holiday". I had my lessons on a Monday but he went on holiday from Monday to Monday quite a lot so I'd miss out on 2 weeks. I asked him about having lessons on different days but he couldn't fit me in on any other days apparently. So I got rid.
Reply 8
For my first lesson, I got shown the basics of the car and got to drive around and learn how the car works. The instructor will usually know that you are a beginner and will take things step by step.
Hi Everyone,
😁

My instructor picked me up, drove me to a local car park (quiet one) and then I learned clutch control and how to move off slowly, then i started using mirrors and indicators to drive around the car park. I didnt really struggle and picked it up quickly. So then he took me to a quiet roundabout just before the exit onto the main road. I started learning how to do roundabouts and the lane discipline. I did a "mini" hill start as it wasnt that steep. Then he thought i was "good" enough to drive the short distance home. This sounds like alot but I picked up on driving really quickly but some people struggle with clutch control for many lessons.
Original post by AvfcWalpole7
My instructor picked me up, drove me to a local car park (quiet one) and then I learned clutch control and how to move off slowly, then i started using mirrors and indicators to drive around the car park. I didnt really struggle and picked it up quickly. So then he took me to a quiet roundabout just before the exit onto the main road. I started learning how to do roundabouts and the lane discipline. I did a "mini" hill start as it wasnt that steep. Then he thought i was "good" enough to drive the short distance home. This sounds like alot but I picked up on driving really quickly but some people struggle with clutch control for many lessons.

Nice to hear. Would you say your ability to learn quickly helped you when you first started your driving lessons?
Nice to hear. Would you say your ability to learn quickly helped you when you first started your driving lessons?

Yes, the fact I learned quickly made me feel more confident and I didnt panic as much when driving. My driving lessons did take longer than expected though, I started in March 2022, I passed first time in November 2022. Through the summer I had to miss lessons as my instructor had to have an operation.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending