The Student Room Group

How bad really are my eyes?

I wear OK lenses at night, and they really correct my eyesight a lot. Like I think with them, I have 20/20 vision without any glasses. I can easily read something as long as it's not tiny, even from the back of the classroom. However, soon my grade/school will be doing camp to another country, and since the school would like some really good experience, the 'hotel' we're going to live in for 4 nights has no extremely clean water to wash your hands with, which is required in order to not get an eye infection for OK lenses, so my Mom isn't letting me bring them.

To put it into perspective, my eyes are grade -3.5. That's really bad, I believe. I've got a friend who has around grade -2.5 and doesn't wear OK lenses, and he has to wear glasses. Without them, he can barely make out our teacher's features from the back of the class.

For me, my eyes blur quite a bit just after one night of not wearing any OK lenses. I want to know whether I will be basically blind during the last few days of camp and if I just really, really need some glasses, or if I can actually make it through and survive by putting on OK lenses the night straight after camp. If anyone knows, please also tell me what exactly my eyes are in the 20/20 thing. For example, I think grade -1.25 is basically 20/60 eyes.

I'm sorry if I'm confusing yall, if there's any clarification I can make then please ask me!

Thanks in advance, have a good day.
Ortho-K Lenses' effect lasts a few days, so if you stop using them now you will have your regular power for the trip. You can easily wear your glasses during the trip. Glasses should be ready for the trip, simple prescriptions are not long to make and you can even order glasses online, there are some good UK websites so the shipping should be fast too.
I mean, you're the best judge to know whether or not you can cope without any lenses, but I agree with the previous poster, why not just wear glasses?

To me, your eyes don't personally sound that bad at all, but my contact lenses are -8.0 in each eye (-9.0 for glasses). If I don't have either my contacts or a pair of glasses handy, I'm basically screwed.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Kathy89
Ortho-K Lenses' effect lasts a few days, so if you stop using them now you will have your regular power for the trip. You can easily wear your glasses during the trip. Glasses should be ready for the trip, simple prescriptions are not long to make and you can even order glasses online, there are some good UK websites so the shipping should be fast too.

Mhm thanks. Will the OK lense effect last for 4 days though? That's pretty much all I need. Like by last, I don't mean for it to stay at the really really clear state that it is usually in. I just want to at least be able to make out friend's features and stuff, and be able to see things clearly like 1-2m away or something (doesnt have to be very very clear tho). I'll check with my eye doctor.

Thanks for answering!
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I mean, you're the best judge to know whether or not you can cope without any lenses, but I agree with the previous poster, why not just wear glasses?

To me, your eyes don't personally sound that bad at all, but my contact lenses are -8.0 in each eye (-9.0 for glasses). If I don't have either my contacts or a pair of glasses handy, I'm basically screwed.

Mhm. Thanks for answering!
Original post by Anonymous
Mhm thanks. Will the OK lense effect last for 4 days though? That's pretty much all I need. Like by last, I don't mean for it to stay at the really really clear state that it is usually in. I just want to at least be able to make out friend's features and stuff, and be able to see things clearly like 1-2m away or something (doesnt have to be very very clear tho). I'll check with my eye doctor.

Thanks for answering!

I can't know. Only you can know.
Everyone's experience is different.
Original post by Kathy89
I can't know. Only you can know.
Everyone's experience is different.

Mhm okay I'll see then. Thanks for your response! Have a good day :smile:
A prescription of -3.50 is not really considered too high, although without any form of correction you will struggle to see. Ortho-K lenses correct your vision during the day. If you stop wearing the lenses, you will notice over a period of a few days or weeks your eyes will return back to their original state. Getting a pair of glasses would be difficult as your prescription will gradually change, it would be best to consult your optician for advice.

Quick Reply

Latest