The Student Room Group

Worrying about job opportunities

Recently I've been worrying about the lack of job offers and opportunities in my area. Even when setting it to a larger radius there aren't any that I'm a suitable applicant for. My last year of school was during covid and I was left stranded up until my GCSEs in which I performed poorly, and I wasn't even "allowed" the actual GCSE papers. I've managed to do one college course so far - but is it enough? There are no job opportunities in my area in the field that I studied. I fear I will never be able to get a job because so many different problems keep holding me back... if it's not my education - it's my area, but if it's not my area, then it's my lack of experience.
Reply 1
There's that saying about having a job to get a job. Don't limit yourself to just the field in which you studied; look for other jobs for which you are qualified.

Employers don't expect much experience from young people, but consider what you can put on a CV. Difficult to say if one course is enough without more info.
Original post by chickenkorma
Recently I've been worrying about the lack of job offers and opportunities in my area. Even when setting it to a larger radius there aren't any that I'm a suitable applicant for. My last year of school was during covid and I was left stranded up until my GCSEs in which I performed poorly, and I wasn't even "allowed" the actual GCSE papers. I've managed to do one college course so far - but is it enough? There are no job opportunities in my area in the field that I studied. I fear I will never be able to get a job because so many different problems keep holding me back... if it's not my education - it's my area, but if it's not my area, then it's my lack of experience.

Hello @chickenkorma

Have you thought about looking into 'working from home' opportunities? A website called INDEED that you can download as an app has a lot of working from home opportunities whilst you are figuring yourself out. This can include data collection / online surveys / call Centre work / advisor work etc. But it means that you don't have to travel. Alot of these positions are part time also, giving you the chance to look for other jobs whilst making a bit of an income.
Try typing in the search box 'Student jobs working from home' or 'part time work from home'.

There are also different agencies that you can get onto for catering / beauty and hospitality that offer you work when its available in your area and you can say yes or no. Try typing into google: Flexible and temporary staffing agencies near me.

Another Idea is to go into college and ask reception if there is anyone you can talk to about student jobs or gaining some paid work experience. The college itself might even have a little part time job :smile:

Other than that, you might want to check out this website: https://www.studentjob.co.uk/

Hope this Helps!

- Laura
We're living in a climate in which remote working has become very popular and I reckon it will continue to do so. I would focus on those type of jobs, there's so may options
Original post by Sameer01
We're living in a climate in which remote working has become very popular and I reckon it will continue to do so. I would focus on those type of jobs, there's so may options

Unless of course you plan to eventually geographically relocate?
What field are you looking for jobs in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending