The Student Room Group

A university / college in the UK for disabled student?

Hi there :smile:

I'm 32, have both Israeli and Portuguese nationality.

I need help with finding an institute and getting a student visa, I want to know what my options are.I need a face to face course, I suffer from sleep disorder, ADHD, learning disabilities, Anxiety, dyscalculia and cetra, so I'm looking for an evening course only, that is suitable for my health conditions.

I've been working as a rehabilitation counselor for 3 years in my country, no formal education. I have 12 years education, partial GED, not full. I'm looking to study a bachelor/diploma/certificate in treatment fields : psychology, community service, counseling, social work and cetra.

Until now, I probably manage to find only 1 suitable institute for my condition - Birkbeck, University of London.

I'll be really happy to hear if you can help me and offer me something.

Thanks.
(edited 1 year ago)
There is a university in London that does evening courses. Most dont. A s far as assistance due to your disabilities universities will make reasonable adjustments. It is the law here but you need to contact an individual university to see what help is practical.
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
There is a university in London that does evening courses. Most dont. A s far as assistance due to your disabilities universities will make reasonable adjustments. It is the law here but you need to contact an individual university to see what help is practical.

Thank you for that. What is the uni name?
Original post by TOM_1900
Thank you for that. What is the uni name?

Birkbeck. As far as I know it is the only university offering night courses but someone may know of others. Some colleges may offer part time evening courses as well.
You won’t be able to get a student visa for part time study.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
You won’t be able to get a student visa for part time study.

Thanks. I know that and I’ve checked that with them, they told me that thier degrees are suitable for a student visa. I don’t know how they did that, but that’s what they’re saying.
(edited 1 year ago)
Thanks. I know that and I’ve checked that with them, they told me that thier degrees are suitable for a student visa. I don’t know how they did that, but that’s what they’re saying.

Is it a masters course? Here’s the government guidance confirming what PQ has said:

https://www.gov.uk/student-visa/course

Unless you got something in writing from the international office at Birkbeck, (IE. someone with specific knowledge about visas, not the academic department or admissions teams), I would be extremely dubious about what you’ve been told.
I was going to suggest Birbeck but have you considered distance learning instead?
Reply 8
Original post by Admit-One
Is it a masters course? Here’s the government guidance confirming what PQ has said:

https://www.gov.uk/student-visa/course

Unless you got something in writing from the international office at Birkbeck, (IE. someone with specific knowledge about visas, not the academic department or admissions teams), I would be extremely dubious about what you’ve been told.

Bachelor degree. I was also super surprised because all the full time degrees timetables are literally part time in any other place by any definition, but I've got their confirmation by email and also by the official university browswor. That is really amazing and unique, globally.

I can't upload the browser link and email capture for some reason.

https://www.bbk.ac.uk/international/visa
(edited 1 year ago)
Bachelor degree. I was also super surprised because all the full time degrees timetables are literally part time in any other place by any definition, but I've got their confirmation by email and also by the official university browswor. That is really amazing and unique, globally.

I can't upload the browser link and email capture for some reason.

https://www.bbk.ac.uk/international/visa

Interesting. Do you know what section it’s mentioned under in the link above?
Reply 10
Original post by Admit-One
Interesting. Do you know what section it’s mentioned under in the link above?

I can't really find something specific like the answer and the brochure I got on the email, but I think maybe this one:

https://www.bbk.ac.uk/international/visa/who-can-apply

Basically Birebeck is an evening university only, so that means that there will be no international programs (lower than master) whatsoever if it won't meet the visa requirements.

I still don't know how they do it, cuse 3 hours x 2/3 evenings a week, doesn't seem like the government requirements for a student visa.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 11
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I was going to suggest Birbeck but have you considered distance learning instead?

Yes, not for my ADHD and cetra unfortunately.
Yes, not for my ADHD and cetra unfortunately.

@PQ knowledge in ucas and finance wont be bettered anywhere. I would act as suggested.
Reply 13
Original post by swanseajack1
@PQ knowledge in ucas and finance wont be bettered anywhere. I would act as suggested.

Yes, of course. I've already contacted the psychology department in order to get more specific info relevant for my case and start the process of applying.

Thanks.
I still don't know how they do it, cuse 3 hours x 2/3 evenings a week, doesn't seem like the government requirements for a student visa.

I don't know the government's regulation and system, but here is some info from my good friend who is now studying in BBK's school of law, in his undergra second year. He holds an international student visa to join BBK. The course is a 3-year full-time one, the total credit points he is required to earn for graduation is no significant difference to other similar courses offered by other institutions, while all lessons are conducted during evening time. What you said that students are only required to take lessons in 2 or 3 evenings a week may be the situation in some of the terms only, but not the whole 3-year course with 9 academic terms. For examples, my buddy has 5 lessons during this Winter Term (therefore he is now working crazily hard for assignments to be submitted after the term-break), 4 lessons during the Spring Term last year... so forth. The timetabling situation of our another buddy, who is studying psychology there in his first year, is similar.

Good luck for your pursuit of further study in the UK. :h:
Reply 15
Original post by Yat Yat
I don't know the government's regulation and system, but here is some info from my good friend who is now studying in BBK's school of law, in his undergra second year. He holds an international student visa to join BBK. The course is a 3-year full-time one, the total credit points he is required to earn for graduation is no significant difference to other similar courses offered by other institutions, while all lessons are conducted during evening time. What you said that students are only required to take lessons in 2 or 3 evenings a week may be the situation in some of the terms only, but not the whole 3-year course with 9 academic terms. For examples, my buddy has 5 lessons during this Winter Term (therefore he is now working crazily hard for assignments to be submitted after the term-break), 4 lessons during the Spring Term last year... so forth. The timetabling situation of our another buddy, who is studying psychology there in his first year, is similar.

Good luck for your pursuit of further study in the UK. :h:

Yes I've only known what they sent me / there is on the website, I don't really know for sure how the whole degree timetable looks like, but now when you enlightened me it really makes more sense. I do want to study psychology with a foundation year, so it's 4 years overall.

Thank you very much !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending