The Student Room Group

My man keeps cringe me out 😭

Ok so I have known this guy for about a year now we just started dating. I really like him but he keeps making me CRINGEE.

For example, he says:
" You can call me daddy "
" I love you"
etc.

Now I know you are thinking what's wrong with saying I love you, well... WE JUST STARTED DATING, Im not ready to say I love you yet to him. He's really sweet, kind, and funny. His my little goofball but I'm just not ready to say " I love you ".

What do I do? Am I wrong for not being ready to say I love you? Am I in the wrong for thinking these things he's doing are cringe?

Plzz help!!!
Reply 1
Talk to him about it.

Then again, you've just started dating but he's "your man?"
(edited 1 year ago)
The first one is just a difference in preferences. I've had women I've only been casually involved refer to me as "Daddy" or "Sir" from the very first flirty exchange - it isn't something reserved for committed relationships. If that's not something you are into, all you need to do is tell him that.

As for the L-word, tell him you feel it is too soon to be saying it to each other. Send him away to do his homework on it if he thinks it's normal to tell your new girlfriend this.
(edited 1 year ago)
Basically what the people above said. Also, I think it seems to be more of a male characteristic that we get emotionally attached to people we're interested in / dating. And given that, I guess we're more likely to overcommit too soon.. so don't assume he has bad intentions, he's just speaking the truth (although maybe he needs to keep some things quiet for a bit :smile:)
Original post by Surnia
Talk to him about it.

Then again, you've just started dating but he's "your man?"

First, thank you for the advice I will use it, Second I called him my man because he is. He's not dating anyone else but me... What am I supposed to call him? since calling him what he is to me is wrong.
Original post by 1582
The first one is just a difference in preferences. I've had women I've only been casually involved refer to me as "Daddy" or "Sir" from the very first flirty exchange - it isn't something reserved for committed relationships. If that's not something you are into, all you need to do is tell him that.

As for the L-word, tell him you feel it is too soon to be saying it to each other. Send him away to do his homework on it if he thinks it's normal to tell your new girlfriend this.

Thank you some much, This helps a lot.
Original post by SupremeMemer
Basically what the people above said. Also, I think it seems to be more of a male characteristic that we get emotionally attached to people we're interested in / dating. And given that, I guess we're more likely to overcommit too soon.. so don't assume he has bad intentions, he's just speaking the truth (although maybe he needs to keep some things quiet for a bit :smile:)

Thank you!! I guess it is a male characteristic! I really appreciate this feedback.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
First, thank you for the advice I will use it, Second I called him my man because he is. He's not dating anyone else but me... What am I supposed to call him? since calling him what he is to me is wrong.

But you've just started dating and don't know that it will work out. Hopefully it will, but he isn't 'your man' yet.
Original post by Surnia
But you've just started dating and don't know that it will work out. Hopefully it will, but he isn't 'your man' yet.

The fact that we just started dating has nothing to do with me calling him my man. I called him that because he is. Like I said before he's not dating anyone else but me... So technically he's my man. And you are right I don't know if we will last but that has nothing to do with it.

(we have been dating for about 2 weeks now)
Original post by Anonymous
The fact that we just started dating has nothing to do with me calling him my man. I called him that because he is. Like I said before he's not dating anyone else but me... So technically he's my man. And you are right I don't know if we will last but that has nothing to do with it.

(we have been dating for about 2 weeks now)

Idk... I guess people calling a man "their man" seems more like a married couple thing 🤷*♀️
Original post by Emmmaaaa...
Idk... I guess people calling a man "their man" seems more like a married couple thing 🤷*♀️

I mean I understand that, but it's not just for married couples tho.
For my 50 cents, I think you guys’ relationship sounds a little unhealthy. I agree with calling your partner ‘’my man’’ being reserved for people in long term, or married relationships, but if you don’t think so, whatever floats your boat.

The part that makes it seem a little unhealthy is the fact that you’re comfortable calling him yours (‘my man’), but not saying I love you. ‘I love you’ acts as a bit of a commitment phrase, so I can see why perhaps you might be tentative. However, I’d start to question yourself as to why you’re perhaps comfortable to act in a way a long-term couple would, but without actually committing. As for the ‘daddy’ thing, maybe that’s just what he’s into, simply communicating is the answer there.

You sound quite young, and if so, I’d advise you just to be conscious. People’s feelings aren’t something to be played around with.
Original post by Xx_Simba_xX
For my 50 cents, I think you guys’ relationship sounds a little unhealthy. I agree with calling your partner ‘’my man’’ being reserved for people in long term, or married relationships, but if you don’t think so, whatever floats your boat.

The part that makes it seem a little unhealthy is the fact that you’re comfortable calling him yours (‘my man’), but not saying I love you. ‘I love you’ acts as a bit of a commitment phrase, so I can see why perhaps you might be tentative. However, I’d start to question yourself as to why you’re perhaps comfortable to act in a way a long-term couple would, but without actually committing. As for the ‘daddy’ thing, maybe that’s just what he’s into, simply communicating is the answer there.

You sound quite young, and if so, I’d advise you just to be conscious. People’s feelings aren’t something to be played around with.

Well first thank you for the advice. I am pretty young. I'm 20 going on 21 on Friday. I'm honstely not going to fight anymore over calling him my man, I guess I just dont understand. About the him wanted to be called "daddy" thing I talked to him about it and we made a compromise that will make me and him happy. And the "I love you" thing saying "I love you" takes your relastionship to a whole different level that im just not ready for you know what I mean. But thanks for the adivce this helps alot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending