The Student Room Group

Uni Grade Help

hello,
I've been told by older cohorts that a 2.1 or a First will only get you the jobs and that 2.2 is not a good degree classification. I'm a little worried as I do not think I will be scoring a First in my Dissertation; nor will I be getting 70%+ in my final exams in May. I might be wrong-(please correct me if I am) but I figured my overall grade for my final yr would be a 2.2 if I got 50% in all my modules and in my Dissertation. I did get a First for my 1st and 2nd year overall. so, I don't know if all together my degree would average out to be a 2.1 OR 2.2. any advice and help would be appreciated.

thanks!
Original post by Anonymous
hello,
I've been told by older cohorts that a 2.1 or a First will only get you the jobs and that 2.2 is not a good degree classification. I'm a little worried as I do not think I will be scoring a First in my Dissertation; nor will I be getting 70%+ in my final exams in May. I might be wrong-(please correct me if I am) but I figured my overall grade for my final yr would be a 2.2 if I got 50% in all my modules and in my Dissertation. I did get a First for my 1st and 2nd year overall. so, I don't know if all together my degree would average out to be a 2.1 OR 2.2. any advice and help would be appreciated.

thanks!

Hi there!

I can assure you this is not true. I got a 2.2 myself in my undergraduate degree and still got into an MSc in a Russell Group university and currently have a job. I won't lie, it will be harder, especially if you want to go into a postgraduate degree, but it is not impossible. What I would recommend is for you to reflect on why you obtained that grade (if it ends up being a 2.2) so you can explain it if you get asked, and start thinking of what you will do to improve. This was something I got asked in my interview for the Master's.

I hope this helps :smile:

King regards,
Elena
Keele University
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Anonymous
hello,

thanks!

Hi there,

I know alot of people who got 2:2s in their degrees and are now doing brilliantly in the working world. I personally am not sure on the different classifications as I study medicine and it is slightly different.
My best advice would be to go and speak to your personal tutor or lecturer who will know about the classifications in depth and can help to ease your worry and give some pointers on how to best improve your grade if that is what you want to do.
Also, you could see your university library or study skills department as they may also be able to help you.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y3 Medical Student
Uni Of Sunderland
Digital Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending