The Student Room Group

Btec Health and social care national extend certificate grades

Hey,
I wanted to know if i got Distinction in both my coursework but got Merit in both my exams, what’s the likelihood i’ll get an overall distinction grade at the end of the year.

Thanks!!
Original post by s7hil
Hey,
I wanted to know if i got Distinction in both my coursework but got Merit in both my exams, what’s the likelihood i’ll get an overall distinction grade at the end of the year.

Thanks!!

The two external (i.e. examined units) - namely Unit 1 Human Lifespan Development and Unit 2 Working in health and Social Care - are actually assigned unit points, which are then mapped to grades (Pass / Merit / Distinction).

For Human Lifespan Development it's out of 24 points, with 15 through 23 being a Merit. For Working in Health and Social Care (which is a slightly larger unit) it's out of 32 points, with 20 through 31 being a Merit. So when you say, "got Merit in both my exams", that's quite a range of unit points.

If you scored the lowest unit score which still maps to a Merit in each of these units/exams (i.e. 15/24 in Unit 1 and 20/32 in Unit 2) then you'd get a distinction overall:

BTEC Nationals Extended Certificate - Health and Social Care.JPG

So, the answer you your "what’s the likelihood i’ll get an overall distinction grade" is 100% likely (assuming you mean "at least an overall distinction grade"). If you get a Distinction in the two internal units (assessed by coursework) and a Merit in the two of the external units (assessed by examination) then you are guaranteed to get at least a Distinction overall. :smile:

If you managed 21/24 in Unit 1 and 29/32 in Unit 2 (both of which would still be a Merit), then it'd be a Distinction* (Starred Distinction) overall.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
The two external (i.e. examined units) - namely Unit 1 Human Lifespan Development and Unit 2 Working in health and Social Care - are actually assigned unit points, which are then mapped to grades (Pass / Merit / Distinction).

For Human Lifespan Development it's out of 24 points, with 15 through 23 being a Merit. For Working in Health and Social Care (which is a slightly larger unit) it's out of 32 points, with 20 through 31 being a Merit. So when you say, "got Merit in both my exams", that's quite a range of unit points.

If you scored the lowest unit score which still maps to a Merit in each of these units/exams (i.e. 15/24 in Unit 1 and 20/32 in Unit 2) then you'd get a distinction overall:

BTEC Nationals Extended Certificate - Health and Social Care.JPG

So, the answer you your "what’s the likelihood i’ll get an overall distinction grade" is 100% likely (assuming you mean "at least an overall distinction grade"). If you get a Distinction in the two internal units (assessed by coursework) and a Merit in the two of the external units (assessed by examination) then you are guaranteed to get at least a Distinction overall. :smile:

If you managed 21/24 in Unit 1 and 29/32 in Unit 2 (both of which would still be a Merit), then it'd be a Distinction* (Starred Distinction) overall.

Hi, I’ve just seen this reply, thank you for the information it’s been really beneficial, my teachers didn’t tell me my specific points but i will enquire and see if there’s an possibility to get a distinction*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending