The Student Room Group

I want to get away from my father.

Honestly, I hate him. All the time he shouts and swears 24/7, he also gets so angry when I earn money and buy myself food, and he also borrows money which he don’t pay back ( i dont anymore )

I am 17, and will be turning 18 on may 2nd. He also calls me a c**t a lot. He only likes me when I used to borrow him money.

When I refuse he starts shouting and stating “look at the money “we” spent on you” but the thing is, he did not spend any on me. My mom was always spending on me.. so I hate when he says “we”

And when I argue back my mother gets all angry!

I want him to die, he already had a heartattack and diabetes.

Am I the bad person, or is this justified?
Also when I order myself food, he says stuff like “can you eat anymore” , “can you fit anymore” , “you will eat yourself to death”
Youre not a bad person - most people have felt these feelings towards their parents - dont worry it is completely normal.

In ur situation it seems even more justified - being called a c*nt and unfairly taking your money is absolutely unacceptable - and verbal abuse, is a type of abuse so you can talk to someone about this, he seems to be making u feel pretty bad about things - maybe talk to someone in a position of trust/helpline if you feel like ur being emotionally abused.

Feel free also to pm me if u ever need to talk to someone u dont know - I know this can help quite a lot.

Hope this helps
Mads
Original post by Anonymous
Also when I order myself food, he says stuff like “can you eat anymore” , “can you fit anymore” , “you will eat yourself to death”

And this is definite emotional abuse, you can call a helpline about this, parents shouldn't ever make their kids feel insecure about their bodies/eating habits - god know we're all insecure enough as it is

Mads
Reply 4
Original post by MadisonBailey06
Youre not a bad person - most people have felt these feelings towards their parents - dont worry it is completely normal.

In ur situation it seems even more justified - being called a c*nt and unfairly taking your money is absolutely unacceptable - and verbal abuse, is a type of abuse so you can talk to someone about this, he seems to be making u feel pretty bad about things - maybe talk to someone in a position of trust/helpline if you feel like ur being emotionally abused.

Feel free also to pm me if u ever need to talk to someone u dont know - I know this can help quite a lot.

Hope this helps
Mads

Hey yep, it is affecting me but do you think when I turn 18 should I cut contact with him and rent my own home ( i will have the funds ) He is really getting on my nerves . He is also a mr Know it all and he hates me i just know it

Thank you i will message you when im available thanks so much :smile:!!
Reply 5
Original post by MadisonBailey06
And this is definite emotional abuse, you can call a helpline about this, parents shouldn't ever make their kids feel insecure about their bodies/eating habits - god know we're all insecure enough as it is

Mads

Yep and when the horrible thing does it, I just make a fake laugh then when he turns away the “laugh/smile” goes straight away, and even when I want to go outside etc he gets all funny and asks where you going.

Due to his behaviour, now I have to eat food outside ( sneak off to a takeaway )
Original post by fxxr_X
Hey yep, it is affecting me but do you think when I turn 18 should I cut contact with him and rent my own home ( i will have the funds ) He is really getting on my nerves . He is also a mr Know it all and he hates me i just know it

Thank you i will message you when im available thanks so much :smile:!!

Yes i agree you should rent your own home when u can. Personally, I wouldn't cut contact permanently - as this is something he could hold against u if u see him in the future - maybe just a monthly email of generic 'how are you's' and tell him how youre doing. if he's horrible about it just ignore whatever he replies with. But you never know some distance from each other might do you both some good...

Mads
Your feelings are justified, and it's understandable to feel angry and frustrated with someone who treats you poorly. It's not okay for your stepfather to shout, swear, and verbally abuse you, and it's also not okay for him to borrow money and not pay it back. It's important to prioritize your own well-being and safety. Have you talked to your mother about how you feel? It might be helpful to have a calm and honest conversation with her about how your stepfather's behavior is affecting you. It's also important to remember that wishing someone to die is not a healthy or productive way to deal with the situation. Consider reaching out to a trusted adult or counselor for support and guidance on how to navigate this difficult situation.
Original post by VeronicaDavis10
Your feelings are justified, and it's understandable to feel angry and frustrated with someone who treats you poorly. It's not okay for your stepfather to shout, swear, and verbally abuse you, and it's also not okay for him to borrow money and not pay it back. It's important to prioritize your own well-being and safety. Have you talked to your mother about how you feel? It might be helpful to have a calm and honest conversation with her about how your stepfather's behavior is affecting you. It's also important to remember that wishing someone to die is not a healthy or productive way to deal with the situation. Consider reaching out to a trusted adult or counselor for support and guidance on how to navigate this difficult situation.

She doesn’t even care, she says “take no notice or “stop your sh*t” so i dont know
You aren’t a bad person, maybe wishing death upon him is a little much, might be an idea to think about if he did actually pass away in the midst of you having such thoughts… but nobody can blame you for being angry and hateful with how you describe his behaviour… in reality he probably beats himself up every time he acts this way towards you if he has any compassion as a father at all… I reckon you need to start having regular talks with him in a calm and collective manner to get to the bottom of where you two have gone wrong as a father and son, not implying you did anything wrong might I add, I just mean regarding your relationship with each other in general… you tell him what’s bothering you and allow him to do the same and see if you can both work on it together… you only get one father and your father only has one of you… I’d like to bet you’ll both look back on life and regret not trying harder if nothing changes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending