The Student Room Group

Why is everything with my parents such a drama?

I’m 24, I’ve moved out for a year with my boyfriend ( about 10 mins away). I’m an only child and I see my parents about twice a week which I like of course. But everything I do in their eyes that’s wrong’ is such a big drama for them.

For example my car was having its MOT and my dad OFFERED to give me a lift 10 mins down the road. I saw aww ok thank you appreciate it and next thing he’s in the car telling me that I earn enough money and that I should’ve got an uber’… he has some weird obsession with how much’ I earn and uses it against me for things.

It’s always been like this with my Dad. He’s always so angry about everything. I just know that my boyfriends parents wouldn’t give me a lift somewhere and then use it against me. Growing up my parents always embarsssed me in front of mg friends and I was always so envious that my friends parents weren’t so angry.

Nothing ever physical but just super petty, angry stuff. It just makes me want to not see them as much anymore. There’s no reasoning with them either…. Is it bad I’m starting to enjoy spending time with mg boyfriends parents than mg actual parents?
It’s not that deep, you’re 24, a full grown adult now. I personally wouldn’t let my parents drive me 10mins down the road for MOT. You know what your parents are like so why even accept the offer :s

You like your BFs parents more because you weren’t raised by them. You basically only get to see the good side of them so naturally prefer them.

Don’t tell your parents your salary if they make comments on it. Ever thought of reasons why your dad is so angry? Is it financial issues? Bad childhood? Maybe having issues with your mum? Have you ever tried to talk to your parents about how you feel….

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending