The Student Room Group

should I tell my boyfriend?

Hi, So I am in a LDR and my boyfriend is coming to visit me tomorrow. Last week we fought because I got drunk and called him in which he hung up on me as he was with friends I called him back because I was annoyed and sad and called him a d*ck. I apologised and we talked through it but I have been struggling w my drinking a bit in general. Now, that I am on an exchange, I do have not a lot to do and don't feel a lot of fulfilment so it has spiralled again recently. I am seeing a therapist and working on trying to make myself better. However, there was an incident with my neighbours as I came home after a night out and tried to get into my flat (turns out it was the neighbours). They called the police because they thought someone was breaking in I had entered my flat at this point and had left the door open, so they came in to check on my flatmate and me and close the door. I haven't told him as this is one of a lot of incidences and I don't want to hurt him anymore but I feel bad as if I am keeping something from him. However, after the fight, I think it also isn't the best idea to mention it. Any advice?
depends honestly just follow your heart i understand this isa diffivult situatuion i would say mention it personally but obv its up to you
Honesty is the best policy.
Yeah you should tell him about any serious or semi serious incident you’ve been involved in.. if he cares about you enough to warrant you being in a relationship with him then he should offer nothing other than help… if it were a situation which involved infidelity amongst the others you speak of then in my personal opinion, this would be the only situation where I wouldn’t be offering as much support as possible to help my partner overcome any problems.. well, one of the very few at least
You should also maybe mention that you’re struggling mentally and turning to alcohol because of this.. and please, I know from personal experience that alcohol is not your friend when you’re feeling fragile and using it to compensate for or to dull down any sort of emotions that are plaguing you… if you’re finding yourself turning to alcohol to try making yourself happy then all you will do is amplify the negative feelings, yes alcohol will help place them on the back burner.. until the next day when you’re hung over and whatever is bothering you is still there, but now it’ll seem 10 times worse because of the sauce wearing off.. then it becomes very easy to carry on drinking to keep numbing your conscience… before you know it you’ll quite possibly have a dependency to it… sounds extreme but it’s so easy to fall into the trap.. as I said.. I know from experience and when I look back I wish I would have just spoken to people and got stuff sorted… not trying to preach so I apologise if that’s how it sounds, just that I wouldn’t like to see someone else go down that road for something that’s easily rectified
Original post by Biggz1984
You should also maybe mention that you’re struggling mentally and turning to alcohol because of this.. and please, I know from personal experience that alcohol is not your friend when you’re feeling fragile and using it to compensate for or to dull down any sort of emotions that are plaguing you… if you’re finding yourself turning to alcohol to try making yourself happy then all you will do is amplify the negative feelings, yes alcohol will help place them on the back burner.. until the next day when you’re hung over and whatever is bothering you is still there, but now it’ll seem 10 times worse because of the sauce wearing off.. then it becomes very easy to carry on drinking to keep numbing your conscience… before you know it you’ll quite possibly have a dependency to it… sounds extreme but it’s so easy to fall into the trap.. as I said.. I know from experience and when I look back I wish I would have just spoken to people and got stuff sorted… not trying to preach so I apologise if that’s how it sounds, just that I wouldn’t like to see someone else go down that road for something that’s easily rectified

you're not preaching at all, thank you for the kind words honestly. It makes me feel better in a way I have to say. I am actively aware that it doesn't help me and have been seeing somebody about it as well as trying to be conscious of my own emotions and drinking levels... it just gets awfully frustrating to feel yourself going back on the hard work you've put in in the meantime
Original post by Anonymous
you're not preaching at all, thank you for the kind words honestly. It makes me feel better in a way I have to say. I am actively aware that it doesn't help me and have been seeing somebody about it as well as trying to be conscious of my own emotions and drinking levels... it just gets awfully frustrating to feel yourself going back on the hard work you've put in in the meantime

You need to sort that drinking out otherwise you will lose everyone, this happened to me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending