The Student Room Group

Will therapists/adult services keep confidentiality

I have a past of grooming by a stranger, sexual abuse by my dad, emotional/physical abuse by my mum and bullying when I was a young child (in primary school)
So most of these things happened 6-10 years ago. I’m 18 but still with my parents and younger siblings. My parents are no longer abusive, in fact they’ve been supportive (most of the time) with me getting support for my mental health.

It’s been decided that I need long term therapy for trauma and that I will not improve without this but I can’t be fully open if everything I say will be reported. I’ve had an encounter with social services /police before and it was horrible.

Based off what I’ve said and the fact that I’m an adult now, will what I say be confidential?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by annastasiqaxx
I have a past of grooming by a stranger, sexual abuse by my dad, emotional/physical abuse by my mum and bullying when I was a young child (in primary school)
So most of these things happened 6-10 years ago. I’m 18 but still with my parents and younger siblings. My parents are no longer abusive, in fact they’ve been supportive (most of the time) with me getting support for my mental health.

It’s been decided that I need long term therapy for trauma and that I will not improve without this but I can’t be fully open if everything I say will be reported. I’ve had an encounter with social services /police before and it was horrible.

Based off what I’ve said and the fact that I’m an adult now, will what I say be confidential?

The rules with confidentially are that they can only tell people if you are going to harm yourself (and this is a really high level of harm) or you are going to harm someone else (again very high level of harm). You can safely discuss anything and everything but if you said you were going to end yourself and they reasonably believed you would do it they have to inform your emergency contact or the police/relevant services.
In my experience, you can say similar stuff as to what you want to say and be completely confidential. I have been with multiple counsellors and haven't had anyone spill the beans.
Original post by Anonymous
The rules with confidentially are that they can only tell people if you are going to harm yourself (and this is a really high level of harm) or you are going to harm someone else (again very high level of harm). You can safely discuss anything and everything but if you said you were going to end yourself and they reasonably believed you would do it they have to inform your emergency contact or the police/relevant services.
In my experience, you can say similar stuff as to what you want to say and be completely confidential. I have been with multiple counsellors and haven't had anyone spill the beans.

Ok thanks, were you an adult btw when u saw the counsellors
Both, I started at 15 and I am now 22. I have seen 5 different people due to moving and getting a range of private and NHS treatment
Original post by annastasiqaxx
Ok thanks, were you an adult btw when u saw the counsellors

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending