The Student Room Group

Relationship Advice

I assume many people will think that your partner is the most important person in a relationship. I don't agree with that- I think YOU are the most important person. The reason is without self-respect, without the ability to see your worth in a relationship, you will be manipulated and victimized by your partner-if indeed your partner is that way inclined at all. Doing everything to please your partner won't make you happy, you will be making them happy even to a self-destructive degree. An adage states that relationships are a two-way street-and that's the same with EVERY relationship. So you've met the love of your life, are you really going to make him/her/them the most important element in your life and not yourself? I know, being selfish isn't nice, but this isn't about selfishness, this is about giving yourself enough respect so you won't risk a deception, whilst giving your partner the same respect if they show you the love that you want from them.

Do you agree with me here or do you have another take on this matter?
Original post by JDINCINERATOR
I assume many people will think that your partner is the most important person in a relationship. I don't agree with that- I think YOU are the most important person. The reason is without self-respect, without the ability to see your worth in a relationship, you will be manipulated and victimized by your partner-if indeed your partner is that way inclined at all. Doing everything to please your partner won't make you happy, you will be making them happy even to a self-destructive degree. An adage states that relationships are a two-way street-and that's the same with EVERY relationship. So you've met the love of your life, are you really going to make him/her/them the most important element in your life and not yourself? I know, being selfish isn't nice, but this isn't about selfishness, this is about giving yourself enough respect so you won't risk a deception, whilst giving your partner the same respect if they show you the love that you want from them.

Do you agree with me here or do you have another take on this matter?

Yeah my partner is the most important person within our relationship. I agree to what you say when you say you accept and respect the way you are but that doesn’t mean that should be a boundary in which you cannot improve yourself to your partner and that’ll only raise the level of respect gained that’s given from your partner manipulation and victimisation would only happen if your partner doesn’t know the way to treat you or the fundamentals and principles of a relationship. I believe doing everything you can for your partner and seeing them happy personally from my perspective makes me happy because I can see she’s happy and smiling and her happiness to me matters most before mine I prioritise her happiness and her before me. Yes I will always make her the important element within my life reason being without her health both physically and mentally as well as not receiving that highest level of status care and the affection and love and happiness she deserves with her not being prioritised I don’t see how I am doing enough at the same time she’s my everything and whilst also my princess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending