The Student Room Group

Returning to university after failing two years of a 3 year course.

Hi, I am a UK permanent resident living here in England for almost 7 years now and recently just left university after two years. What I've done was I did first year of software engineering but failed it then took a repeat year for half the modules but yet again I failed. From what I know is that normally a student gets 3 years and + 1 gift year for both tuition fee and maintenance loans. If I come back to do a 3 year course in the future will I still receive 2 years of full funding since I already used 2 years or will i get no funding at all? I suspect it's the latter since I completely left university for now. So basically 2-3 + 1 gift year = 2 years left of funding??
Thanks in advanced!
Yes, your calculation is correct, you would have two years of funding remaining (so less than a full degree's worth). Also bear in mind they work backwards from the end of the degree, so you would have to self-fund tuition fees for the FIRST year of the new degree. However you should normally be able to get maintenance loans for all years if eligible.

Note though that part-time study entitlements are calculated completely separately from full-time study ones; so your prior full time studies won't have any bearing on eligibility for part-time funding and you could be fully funded for a part-time course potentially :smile:

So your options are probably either looking at part-time corses, or if aiming for full time, make sure you have the funds in place initially to pay the tuition fees for the first year. You may be able to agree a payment plan with the uni for those but there is no guarantee and you might be expected to pay them all up front (or more typically, half up front and half later in the course). You may be able to use your maintenance loan to pay the tuition fees though, if you can afford your living costs otherwise.
Reply 2
Hi, thank you so much for replying and thank God I was not wrong. It's quite reassuring now that I know I can get back to uni again as soon as I save up for tuition fee. What I knew was that I had to save up for both tuition fee and maintenance loan for my first year at least. For the maintenance loan how would I know if I am eligible. If it had the same requirements and status as I did back in my 2 years of uni I should still be fine right?

Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending