The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Loans

Good Morning,

I am considering withdrawing from my course this is due to a lack of BPS accreditation with my Psychology course. I was unaware how essential it was until I began working in the NHS earlier this year. Am I able to switch courses? Will I still be eligible for funding if I attempt to switch? I have been told before that my only option is to quit and pay for a new course out of my own pocket, is this true?
Original post by Benjamin.Davis
Good Morning,

I am considering withdrawing from my course this is due to a lack of BPS accreditation with my Psychology course. I was unaware how essential it was until I began working in the NHS earlier this year. Am I able to switch courses? Will I still be eligible for funding if I attempt to switch? I have been told before that my only option is to quit and pay for a new course out of my own pocket, is this true?

Hi there, what university and course are you looking to apply for? What university and course have you currently applied for? Is it undergraduate or postgraduate funding that you have applied for? Thanks, Karen
I wanted to switch back to Portsmouth university where I did my undergrad who do a Online BPS Accredited Psychology conversion course. I am currently with the University of Essex (Kaplan) studying Criminology & Criminal Psychology. This was postgraduate funded. I got to a point in the course where it is too late to swap anywhere else that has an accredited course without restarting. I want to know if I will still be able to receive funding for a conversion course after the masters with Essex is complete. Or, instead am I able to withdraw and try to request from student finance to receive another loan. At the time of applying for the original masters I was unaware that professional registration with BPS was required, due to my previous degree being Sociology & Criminology
I wanted to switch back to Portsmouth university where I did my undergrad who do a Online BPS Accredited Psychology conversion course. I am currently with the University of Essex (Kaplan) studying Criminology & Criminal Psychology. This was postgraduate funded. I got to a point in the course where it is too late to swap anywhere else that has an accredited course without restarting. I want to know if I will still be able to receive funding for a conversion course after the masters with Essex is complete. Or, instead am I able to withdraw and try to request from student finance to receive another loan. At the time of applying for the original masters I was unaware that professional registration with BPS was required, due to my previous degree being Sociology & Criminology

Is there any Compelling Personal Reasons as to why you are withdrawing from your current course? You can find out more information here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year Thanks, Karen
Original post by SFE Karen
Is there any Compelling Personal Reasons as to why you are withdrawing from your current course? You can find out more information here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year Thanks, Karen

Hi Karen,

Yes my Grandmother passed away during my studies February last year, I have also had some pressure from my work and have ended up working 6 days some weeks which was making course progression difficult. In addition to this I live with been diagnosed with a chronic physical health condition known as psoriasis which greatly impacts my physical & mental health when I am stressed. Do you feel I may be eligible for Compelling Personal Reasons?
Hi Karen,

Yes my Grandmother passed away during my studies February last year, I have also had some pressure from my work and have ended up working 6 days some weeks which was making course progression difficult. In addition to this I live with been diagnosed with a chronic physical health condition known as psoriasis which greatly impacts my physical & mental health when I am stressed. Do you feel I may be eligible for Compelling Personal Reasons?

We wouldn't be able to advise on that. You would need to send evidence of this along with a detailed cover letter explaining the situation for the team to review. Thanks, Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending