The Student Room Group

My work is not allowing me holidays off

Hi I’ve been working as KP for about a year and. Half now I worked myself to the bone in order for the pub to keep them up and running I put every effort into it I’m not lazy or slack off in the pub I like to be as professional as I can be.

Yet every time I book off work they don’t seem allow me to get a break almost most of the staff have had their break even one member who is the head chef taking a break. I feel as much hard work put into the pub I still feel like they don’t really appreciate me enough because I’m pretty much the only KP but other staff has had experience when comes to kitchen porting.

Quite frankly it utter ******** and I think I’m going to take time off as off now as it’s absolutely taking the **** now. I spoke to my manger about going to see my sister birthday next weekend as it’s important for me to be there as my family and cousins are going to be there.

My manger said you need to give me a weeks notice when pretty much it is a weeks notice and next Thursday is more than enough time I’d like confront him about it but that’s hard part for me as I have anxiety when it comes to confrontation like this has any off you had any experiences like this and how to confront the situation properly?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I’ve been working as KP for about a year and. Half now I worked myself to the bone in order for the pub to keep them up and running I put every effort into it I’m not lazy or slack off in the pub I like to be as professional as I can be.

Yet every time I book off work they don’t seem allow me to get a break almost most of the staff have had their break even one member who is the head chef taking a break. I feel as much hard work put into the pub I still feel like they don’t really appreciate me enough because I’m pretty much the only KP but other staff has had experience when comes to kitchen porting.

Quite frankly it utter ******** and I think I’m going to take time off as off now as it’s absolutely taking the **** now. I spoke to my manger about going to see my sister birthday next weekend as it’s important for me to be there as my family and cousins are going to be there.

My manger said you need to give me a weeks notice when pretty much it is a weeks notice and next Thursday is more than enough time I’d like confront him about it but that’s hard part for me as I have anxiety when it comes to confrontation like this has any off you had any experiences like this and how to confront the situation properly?

Quit if you don't get the holiday
That’s exactly what I will do if i don’t get it
As a former KP I feel you. We are the backbone of the operation since they can’t function without clean equipment, yet we get so little respect.

Hand in your notice if you are refused again. That might actually shock them into giving you the time off you are entitled to. Or at least the option of finding another job where you are treated fairly.
Original post by Anonymous

To be fair, a week is normally the absolute minimum you need to give an employer in notice for leave. If you plan earlier, then your employer has no reason not to make arrangements to operate without you. Less than a week isn't fair on your colleagues.
Remember these type of porter roles in pubs, restaurant and hotels are 'easy hire, easy fire'.
With the employer able to easily lawfully dismiss workers of less than 2 years duration without providing a reason or undertaking any consultation with members of the workforce.

If having holiday leave or absences to attend family birthday parties as a kitchen porter is important to you, apply for other jobs that are more willing to grant such permissions and resign as soon as you secure alternative employment.
Check your employment contract to ensure that you resign and then serve the full agreed notice term unless your employer agrees in writing for you to leave earlier.
Good luck!
Original post by londonmyst
Remember these type of porter roles in pubs, restaurant and hotels are 'easy hire, easy fire'.
With the employer able to easily lawfully dismiss workers of less than 2 years duration without providing a reason or undertaking any consultation with members of the workforce.

If having holiday leave or absences to attend family birthday parties as a kitchen porter is important to you, apply for other jobs that are more willing to grant such permissions and resign as soon as you secure alternative employment.
Check your employment contract to ensure that you resign and then serve the full agreed notice term unless your employer agrees in writing for you to leave earlier.
Good luck!

Hi thanks for the details the information I’m going to the event next week as it’s important to me the only thing is the head chef is going holiday same time as im supposed to go to London I was unaware that the chef was going on holiday that week until I made plans to go that week.

I have not a holiday since last July and October after that I’ve been constantly working through events Christmas banks holidays and easter holidays and also mother day weekend. And once I have taken break. And I even asked my boss a couple weeks in advanced to go and visit some friends.

so as a result I’m leaving to go to London next week if they fire me I don’t give a **** as I got other jobs lined up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending