The Student Room Group

Renting problem

I am based in Scotland. Recently, we are looking for a house for the next school year and visited some houses via a fairly famous letting agency in the area.

Before the visit, the letting agency was already pushing us to pay a "deposit" to "secure" those houses. Since there is only one type of deposit of such nature, I clearly know they are referring to "holding deposit" which is illegal in Scotland. They can't even say for sure how much they want from us.

The agents have tried to pass it off as "tenancy deposit", which normally won't be paid until a contract is signed and tenants move in to the premise, by lying that the amount they desire will "simply be deposited with the Scottish Government".

During the visit, almost all the houses were very messy, stinky and moldy, especially in kitchens and bathrooms. It was a very uncomfortable journey, which made me nauseous for the whole day. For the sake of harmony, I didn't say it explicitly but mildly expressed some doubt afterwards.

The "leader" of the searching group took their word for it and managed to convince the others that the 3 houses are kind of our only hope. The person simply isn't aware of how scammy the deal is. It's fine if he doesn't care about his money, but it's absolutely the opposite if it'd make others lose their money beyond retrieval.

What's happening now is what we've been reminded of repeatedly in school seminars about private renting. Even without guidance, an ordinary human being should sense something is off when sellers, brokers or whosoever keep pushing one to agree to a deal without giving them time and space to consider. Simply because there is a need to secure a house in the midst of Scotland's housing crisis it doesn't mean we shall open ourselves up to potential scam.

I don't know what to do. Should I leave them and search for houses alone or team up with someone else?
Original post by Anonymous
I don't know what to do. Should I leave them and search for houses alone or team up with someone else?

You've explained the situation very well here.

Cannot you not persuade the others in this group what a bad deal this is? Even if you can't convince "The "leader" of the searching group", perhaps you can manage to convince the others?

Or perhaps you could find an alternative (better!) place yourself, and thus give them another option?
Original post by DataVenia
You've explained the situation very well here.

Cannot you not persuade the others in this group what a bad deal this is? Even if you can't convince "The "leader" of the searching group", perhaps you can manage to convince the others?

Or perhaps you could find an alternative (better!) place yourself, and thus give them another option?

I am doing this in parallel, i.e. also contacting every available and suitable person offering a room, flat alike. I hope I'd get mine soon so that I don't need to stick to those boneheaded ones.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending