The Student Room Group

Can social skills ever be improved?

Hi, I am not sure what’s the right word but my communication/social skills are terrible, I always have nothing to say or talk about and hate this about me so much, my mind is always blank, during my teen years I spent all my time talking to people online, I forgot about the outside world, I am coming to 30 and I don’t have any friends but I have a wife and at the moment we’re long distance, she talks for an hour, I try not to fall asleep, I never spoke to anyone on the phone for more than 10 minutes, so I am proud of myself that I can last an hour, all I can say is a few sentences, I struggle with telling people stories and about what I did, I find it hard to recall good moments to talk about on the spot. I am afraid she will get bored of me and find better people to talk to instead of me being her favourite.

Is this genetic or a skill that can be fixed? Please help because I would love to be able to talk.
(edited 1 year ago)
No. Your social skills are automatically decided from when you are born and no one in human history has ever previously improved their ability to interact in social situations.
Original post by ChocolateCake5
Hi, I am not sure what’s the right word but my communication/social skills are terrible, I always have nothing to say or talk about and hate this about me so much, my mind is always blank, during my teen years I spent all my time talking to people online, I forgot about the outside world, I am coming to 30 and I don’t have any friends but I have a wife and at the moment we’re long distance, she talks for an hour, I try not to fall asleep, I never spoke to anyone on the phone for more than 10 minutes, so I am proud of myself that I can last an hour, all I can say is a few sentences, I struggle with telling people stories and about what I did, I find it hard to recall good moments to talk about on the spot. I am afraid she will get bored of me and find better people to talk to instead of me being her favourite.

Is this genetic or a skill that can be fixed? Please help because I would love to be able to talk.

Yes they can mate
Original post by ChocolateCake5

It can be genetic or environmental so I'm autistic and other conditions can cause differences / difficulties with social communication and social skills however you can just not be as good at communicating without there being a condition. It can also change over life but yes you can get better for me it is learning these things and practicing things so for friends if I have one that has a common interest it makes it a lot easier.
There is no right or wrong way to communicate it is what works for you so if you find a way that isn't "typical" then go for it
I mean fair play in getting a wife when you can't hold a conversation for more than 10 minutes lol. Just spend more time listening if you can't think of what to say. Like prompt whoever you're talking with and let them do the talking.
Original post by toxicgamage56
I mean fair play in getting a wife when you can't hold a conversation for more than 10 minutes lol. Just spend more time listening if you can't think of what to say. Like prompt whoever you're talking with and let them do the talking.

Agree. Sometimes, it's better to be a good listener rather than a good speaker.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending