The Student Room Group

Insurance choice UCAS

If you select an insurance choice do you have to go there or if there is something in clearing can you take that option instead?
Original post by Rohan007best
If you select an insurance choice do you have to go there or if there is something in clearing can you take that option instead?

You can decline the place at your insurance choose and drop into Clearing instead. Note that you can't "hold" the insurance place whilst you try to secure one via Clearing. As you then might not succeed in securing a place you're happy with via Clearing, it's a risk.
You dont need to make both a Firm and Insurance choice - if you only have one choice you would be happy with, then make that your Firm and if you are not accepted you would go straight into Clearing automatically.
So if I made just a firm choice but I wasn't sure about the firm choice can I still look at clearing options without rejecting my firm choice?
So if I made just a firm choice but I wasn't sure about the firm choice can I still look at clearing options without rejecting my firm choice?

No you can only use clearing if you have no offers. You would have to give up any offers and take a chance.

If you're not happy with any of your offers, you could look and apply for another course in UCAS Extra now rather than waiting until clearing. To apply through Extra, you must have received all five decisions (or withdraw from any where you have not received a decision) and then decline any offers you are holding. More info here:

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/after-you-apply/types-offer/extra-choices

Again there is a risk here as you would be declining current offers, so you must be absolutely sure it is a risk you want to take.

On Results Day there is nothing to stop you phoning other Unis about Clearing spaces - but they will not make you a definite offer until you have declined your Firm choice and are actually 'in Clearing'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending