The Student Room Group

How many times can Compelling Personal Reasons be applied?

Hello, I'd like to ask how many years of funding it's possible to get back with a Compelling Personal Reasons application. I want to begin a new three year undergraduate degree but have already used three years of funding, so I would need to be awarded two years of CPR to be able to complete the new degree. I won't go into the details here of why I was unable to achieve my degree the first time around (unless it's necessary to answer my question), but would like to know if it's possible to get two years of CPR or if people only ever get one. If it is possible to get two, would this be confirmed before I started the course or would I need to apply again at the start of the second year of study?
Original post by Dr Pesto
Hello, I'd like to ask how many years of funding it's possible to get back with a Compelling Personal Reasons application. I want to begin a new three year undergraduate degree but have already used three years of funding, so I would need to be awarded two years of CPR to be able to complete the new degree. I won't go into the details here of why I was unable to achieve my degree the first time around (unless it's necessary to answer my question), but would like to know if it's possible to get two years of CPR or if people only ever get one. If it is possible to get two, would this be confirmed before I started the course or would I need to apply again at the start of the second year of study?

Hi there, We can assess you for CPR, however we can only confirm 1 year at a time. This means that we would not be able to advise if you are eligible for full funding for each year required until the academic year is applied for and evidence of CPR is received and reviewed. Thanks, Angela
Reply 2
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, We can assess you for CPR, however we can only confirm 1 year at a time. This means that we would not be able to advise if you are eligible for full funding for each year required until the academic year is applied for and evidence of CPR is received and reviewed. Thanks, Angela

Thanks for your answer. I have a couple of further questions:
I was unable to complete my degree the first time because of difficulties caused by undiagnosed ADHD. While I didn't know the cause of my problems at the time, I've since received a diagnosis and have letters from a psychiatrist and a GP confirming this was the case. Is it possible to use the same evidence for successive CPR claims, or would I require new letters each time?

Also, how would previous years of study be taken into account if I were to apply for part-time funding rather than full time?
Thanks for your answer. I have a couple of further questions:
I was unable to complete my degree the first time because of difficulties caused by undiagnosed ADHD. While I didn't know the cause of my problems at the time, I've since received a diagnosis and have letters from a psychiatrist and a GP confirming this was the case. Is it possible to use the same evidence for successive CPR claims, or would I require new letters each time?

Also, how would previous years of study be taken into account if I were to apply for part-time funding rather than full time?

Hi there,

It's possible to receive more than once year of CPR with the evidence you have, but this is up to the assessors. If you have any evidence feel free to upload it on your account as soon as you can and this will then be reviewed.

Previous study is different for part-time courses. Did you receive any qualifications from your previous course?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 4
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

It's possible to receive more than once year of CPR with the evidence you have, but this is up to the assessors. If you have any evidence feel free to upload it on your account as soon as you can and this will then be reviewed.

Previous study is different for part-time courses. Did you receive any qualifications from your previous course?

Thanks, Graeme

I did not receive any qualifications from my previous course.
I did not receive any qualifications from my previous course.

Okay, if you study part-time you have a total of 16 years worth of funding to claim. Since you didn't gain a qualification from your previous course we won't count this against any part-time study that you'll do.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 6
Okay, if you study part-time you have a total of 16 years worth of funding to claim. Since you didn't gain a qualification from your previous course we won't count this against any part-time study that you'll do.

Thanks, Graeme

Would this include maintenance loans, or just tuition fee loans?
Would this include maintenance loans, or just tuition fee loans?

What university and course are you looking to apply for? Thanks, Karen
Reply 8
Original post by SFE Karen
What university and course are you looking to apply for? Thanks, Karen

I'm looking at doing English and Linguistics at Birkbeck, 4 years part time.
I'm looking at doing English and Linguistics at Birkbeck, 4 years part time.

Once our part time applications launch you will be able to submit an application for the team to review. On the application form you can indicate the funding you are looking to apply for and once the application has been fully assessed the team will confirm the funding you are entitled to receive. Thanks, Karen
Reply 10
Original post by SFE Karen
Once our part time applications launch you will be able to submit an application for the team to review. On the application form you can indicate the funding you are looking to apply for and once the application has been fully assessed the team will confirm the funding you are entitled to receive. Thanks, Karen

When do part time applications launch?
When do part time applications launch?

Hi there,

The 23/24 part-time applications are expected to open this Summer, though we don't have an exact date yet. We'll post an ypdate on all our social media channels once we know for sure.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 12
Hi there,

The 23/24 part-time applications are expected to open this Summer, though we don't have an exact date yet. We'll post an ypdate on all our social media channels once we know for sure.

Thanks, Graeme

Thanks a lot for your help. So just to clarify: the years of finance used in my previous attempt at full time study (in which no qualifications were gained) won't be taken into consideration when applying for part time funding?
Thanks a lot for your help. So just to clarify: the years of finance used in my previous attempt at full time study (in which no qualifications were gained) won't be taken into consideration when applying for part time funding?

Hi there, That is correct, we wont count the previous years. Thanks, Angela

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending