The Student Room Group

Are scars a turn-off or attractive?

This one is aimed towards the women :smile:

I recently got into an accident on holiday: i was riding my bike down a hill really fast and some ducks appeared out of no where in front of me. I locked my breaks to avoid hurting them and in turn threw myself over the handle bars whilst going about 30mph down the hill.

I broke my collar bone in half, have a minor fracture in my skull (wear helmets, i promise it’s not silly advice - it would have saved me a considerable amount of pain).

Long story short, my bone was significantly displaced and there was only about a mm of flesh between my broken bone and the outside - it was severely at risk of coming through my skin. So I had emergency surgery to pin and plate it.

TL;DR
I will now have a ~6/7inch straight scar along my collarbone from the surgery. My question is: would women find this unattractive, attractive, or simply irrelevant?

I am secure in my self and have always been very confident so don’t worry about your answers - total honesty please! :smile:

I have stretch marks on my back through muscle growth and am of the personal opinion that they are quite attractive and they give me confidence so as long as the scar from this surgery heals okay I believe i will be if the same opinion for that :smile:

Let me know what you guys think, thankyou :smile:
Only on TSR would someone, after having a nearly life changing accident, ask whether it makes them hotter to women or not.
(edited 1 year ago)
Nah tbh it makes you look more cool having a scar.
It depends upon the specific individual.
Their attraction dealbreakers, beauty standards, location of the scars, how large or noticeable they are.

I'm female and happily single.
I cover up all my childhood scars and old injuries with layers of heavy makeup because they are very unsightly.
Original post by anonstudent2003

I recently got into an accident on holiday: i was riding my bike down a hill really fast and some ducks appeared out of no where in front of me. I locked my breaks to avoid hurting them and in turn threw myself over the handle bars whilst going about 30mph down the hill.

I broke my collar bone in half, have a minor fracture in my skull (wear helmets, i promise it’s not silly advice - it would have saved me a considerable amount of pain).

Long story short, my bone was significantly displaced and there was only about a mm of flesh between my broken bone and the outside - it was severely at risk of coming through my skin. So I had emergency surgery to pin and plate it.

TL;DR
I will now have a ~6/7inch straight scar along my collarbone from the surgery. My question is: would women find this unattractive, attractive, or simply irrelevant?

I am secure in my self and have always been very confident so don’t worry about your answers - total honesty please! :smile:

I have stretch marks on my back through muscle growth and am of the personal opinion that they are quite attractive and they give me confidence so as long as the scar from this surgery heals okay I believe i will be if the same opinion for that :smile:

To me, they're irrelevant. As long as the person is now alright, then that's all that matters to me. My partner has some scars on their body and they've never bothered me. In fact, I didn't even notice on of the longer ones on their chest until they told me the story about the scar.
Reply 5
They’re definitely not a turn off, regardless of how it got there. I have many self harm scars and my boyfriend finds them to be very beautiful. He has a few as well, and they just show how strong he is and how far he has come. Everyone had scars and they all tell a story. I’m so sorry about your accident but that is a pretty cool story to tell.
Wouldn't see this as an issue. Hope you are recovering well from your accident!
Original post by artful_lounger
Only on TSR would someone, after having a nearly life changing accident, ask whether it makes them hotter to women or not.

hey it's a reasonable question, don't be a morality snob
Original post by anonstudent2003

TL;DR

It depends on the nature of the scar and (dare I say it) how good looking you were in the first place. If you were good looking, it's obviously bad, but if you weren't. then the odd battle scar may make you look hard :wink:

Since the age of 10, I've had a scar on the back of my head following a serious illness... and it's weird, because sometimes I'm very self conscious about it, but other times I can go for (literally) weeks without thinking about it at all. TBH, it's never stopped me being attractive per se, and a lot of people actually think it's designer hair cut (apparently, it looks like the logo of a very famous sports brand). Still, since lockdown, I've been growing my hair out... I haven't officially obtained Afro status, but it's enough to completely cover it up for now.

Fast forward to November 2020, and I was also involved in a bike accident, where some f**king d**khead* probably felt what was going on on their phone was more important than paying attention to the road... I was cycling at a junction (I had a green light, I want to make that absolutely clear), and he made a right turn while I was coming... I thought he would stop but he didn't, so I cycled faster to get out his way, and ended up tripping up on a traffic island kerb and smashing my face against the pavement... I couldn't eat solid food for two weeks, lost three of my front teeth, split my lips open; all of which ruined my smile. I've had stitches and dental work since, so some of it has been salvaged, but it's not the same as what it was before. I still have subtle scars on my nose and above my top lip... they're very subtle and most people don't notice them unless I point them out... but I know they're there and I hate them (I always said I could cope with scars anywhere on my body, as long as they're not on my face).

Oh, and I echo what you said about wearing helmets (personally, I think they should be compulsory).... I felt the force my head hit the ground, and I'm pretty sure that may well have been fatal if I wasn't wearing one. To everyone who rides bikes / E bikes, scooters etc. without a helmet... it's worth remembering that with the exception of those out to commit insurance fraud, NO ONE gets on their bike, in their car etc. thinking, "God... I hope I AM involved in an accident"... yet 000's of accidents happen on our roads every day. And you're not going to win against a car or larger vehicle.

*I apologise about my language, but it's how I feel about that creature... especially as they didn't stop (I would have accepted an apology)
(edited 1 year ago)
Attrctive asf <3
Personally i think its a funny story and it did make me laugh a lil when i was reading the part abt the ducks. but i totally respect that it isnt funny XD.
im sorry abt the pain too <3
xxx
(edited 1 year ago)
Firstly, I will say congratulations on surviving! That must have been a scary experience and I'm glad you're better now.:hugs:

To answer your question from my perspective, I see the body as a canvas for telling stories and no one is flawless because no story is perfect. There will be bumps along the way. Honestly, I would find a 'perfect' body a bit boring because I want to look at you and be fascinated by your past or see that you're human like 99% of the world. Scars are part of life's journey for most people and I think they're absolutely beautiful.

However, I'm just one woman and only speaking for myself. Every woman has things she prefers but I'm sure you'll find those who will accept you as you are.
Original post by DarylO
Firstly, I will say congratulations on surviving! That must have been a scary experience and I'm glad you're better now.:hugs:

To answer your question from my perspective, I see the body as a canvas for telling stories and no one is flawless because no story is perfect. There will be bumps along the way. Honestly, I would find a 'perfect' body a bit boring because I want to look at you and be fascinated by your past or see that you're human like 99% of the world. Scars are part of life's journey for most people and I think they're absolutely beautiful.

However, I'm just one woman and only speaking for myself. Every woman has things she prefers but I'm sure you'll find those who will accept you as you are.

I agree about them telling a story.

TBH, I would probably personally wear a scar with pride, if it was a result of doing something heroic (e.g. a burns scar from rescuing someone from a building that was on fire), but all mine does is remind me that there are idiots out there, who don't pay attention to the road.
Original post by Old Skool Freak
I agree about them telling a story.

TBH, I would probably personally wear a scar with pride, if it was a result of doing something heroic (e.g. a burns scar from rescuing someone from a building that was on fire), but all mine does is remind me that there are idiots out there, who don't pay attention to the road.

I just saw your other comments and I do agree that it's infuriating. You shouldn't have had to pay for someone else's negligence.

But you survived! That's something to be proud of. It might not seem as terrible as some accidents but many people don't survive such situations. I've read stories of people dying from that. One slam on the pavement and they're out: just like that. I don't think it has to be heroic to invoke pride. An idiot caused the scar but you can take control of the narrative. Surviving is something to be proud of and you did. That accident could have had a worse outcome.
Original post by DarylO
I just saw your other comments and I do agree that it's infuriating. You shouldn't have had to pay for someone else's negligence.

But you survived! That's something to be proud of. It might not seem as terrible as some accidents but many people don't survive such situations. I've read stories of people dying from that. One slam on the pavement and they're out: just like that. I don't think it has to be heroic to invoke pride. An idiot caused the scar but you can take control of the narrative. Surviving is something to be proud of and you did. That accident could have had a worse outcome.

PROSM.

Thanks, it does help to put it into perspective... Also, they're very subtle now so most people don't actually notice.

My problem is that I can be a vain mofo... and as I'm sure you know, you're always your own worst critic.
Original post by Old Skool Freak
PROSM.

Thanks, it does help to put it into perspective... Also, they're very subtle now so most people don't actually notice.

My problem is that I can be a vain mofo... and as I'm sure you know, you're always your own worst critic.

😂 Absolutely true. We spend so long seeing our bodies that our minds amplify the flaws. I'm also guilty of that. People don't even notice 90% of the things I dislike about my body.

I'm glad the scars healed nicely, though, and I hope that they won't bother you too much in the future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending