The Student Room Group
University of Chichester
University of Chichester
Chichester

Pros and cons of Chichester university

I’m thinking of applying to university of Chichester does anyone have any opinions or pros and cons or personal experiences with Chichester. Thanks
Hi, I'm a current second year student at Chi studying in the humanities department. What course are you thinking of applying for? (I may be able to offer tidbits of info even if it's nothing to do with my course)

For overall, general thoughts on the uni:

Pros: it's a small campus and a small, pretty safe city; if you like socials the SU does WSIHE every week and a lot of students go to that (if you're in a society, especially a sports one, they usually do pre-drinks/socials and have outfit themes); the library staff are really helpful and the library has a lot of resources and study spaces; the careers team are also really helpful and supportive; there's a few places in town that students frequent (Chantry and Vestry); there's also museums and places like that nearby for day-trips or if you're not much of a partier

Cons: some students have struggled in recent years securing accommodation for 2nd/3rd year; the number of staff is already not massive and there's talk going round that there's going to be cuts/redundancies made; the elected SU staff are more into maintaining the social level of the bar rather than acting on student feedback to change things

Also, not sure whether this will be a pro or con for you but it's a very Christian uni. This year there are 2 Christian SU societies running and they do make themselves known on campus at least for one week a year trying to turn people. There's also been mormons in town trying to convert people every so often the two years I've been here too. On campus, students who are of a different religion don't get much - from what I've heard the chaplain is just very Christian and kinda rude to people and the prayer room is very small and not great.

It's also very LGBT+ friendly. There's always an LGBT+ SU officer and an LGBT+ society. Sometimes, personally, I (bi, enby) think the way they are is a little performative but other people find it to make them feel more supported and welcome.
University of Chichester
University of Chichester
Chichester
Original post by userhep
Hi, I'm a current second year student at Chi studying in the humanities department. What course are you thinking of applying for? (I may be able to offer tidbits of info even if it's nothing to do with my course)

For overall, general thoughts on the uni:

Pros: it's a small campus and a small, pretty safe city; if you like socials the SU does WSIHE every week and a lot of students go to that (if you're in a society, especially a sports one, they usually do pre-drinks/socials and have outfit themes); the library staff are really helpful and the library has a lot of resources and study spaces; the careers team are also really helpful and supportive; there's a few places in town that students frequent (Chantry and Vestry); there's also museums and places like that nearby for day-trips or if you're not much of a partier

Cons: some students have struggled in recent years securing accommodation for 2nd/3rd year; the number of staff is already not massive and there's talk going round that there's going to be cuts/redundancies made; the elected SU staff are more into maintaining the social level of the bar rather than acting on student feedback to change things

Also, not sure whether this will be a pro or con for you but it's a very Christian uni. This year there are 2 Christian SU societies running and they do make themselves known on campus at least for one week a year trying to turn people. There's also been mormons in town trying to convert people every so often the two years I've been here too. On campus, students who are of a different religion don't get much - from what I've heard the chaplain is just very Christian and kinda rude to people and the prayer room is very small and not great.

It's also very LGBT+ friendly. There's always an LGBT+ SU officer and an LGBT+ society. Sometimes, personally, I (bi, enby) think the way they are is a little performative but other people find it to make them feel more supported and welcome.

thanks so much, the course I am interested in is Physiotherapy. I am going to an open day in June so I will get more of a feel for it there. I am personally atheist or whatever but have no judgement or anything towards any religions obvs but it is probs a slight con if people are trying to convert u. I am very interested in sports particularly football and hockey, do you know much about the sport at Chichester and the facilities etc. I have done some research but would be nice to hear from a current student. I think for me the aspects that attract me to Chichester is the location (not too far from where I live, not a massive and busy city, close to the beach, safe) and also how it is quite small and you are ‘known by name’ as it says on the website but not sure how true that is ! Also I follow Chichester uni on tiktok and it seems cool I guess 😂
Original post by Milliewest2
thanks so much, the course I am interested in is Physiotherapy. I am going to an open day in June so I will get more of a feel for it there. I am personally atheist or whatever but have no judgement or anything towards any religions obvs but it is probs a slight con if people are trying to convert u. I am very interested in sports particularly football and hockey, do you know much about the sport at Chichester and the facilities etc. I have done some research but would be nice to hear from a current student. I think for me the aspects that attract me to Chichester is the location (not too far from where I live, not a massive and busy city, close to the beach, safe) and also how it is quite small and you are ‘known by name’ as it says on the website but not sure how true that is ! Also I follow Chichester uni on tiktok and it seems cool I guess 😂

Cool, I don't know too much about the physiotherapy course but I do know they get students to partake in experience every year as physiotherapy students offer a free clinic to students (I have one friend atm seeing them weekly about their ankle). They also put a lot into their sports facilities because their sports courses seem to be one of their biggest draws - there's a massive sports hall, two smaller sports hall, the Tudor Hale block which is where most sports-related courses take place, two playing fields and a couple or courts (not 100% which kind though because honestly all I ever do is walk past them). In terms of sports, the SU is big on sports - I think all sports socs play in the uni leagues and they do varsity every year (where all teams play against Winchester uni). They've also got Hockey and Football teams - if you go here you can see all the sports and societies running: https://www.ucsu.org/activities/clubs/listofclubs/

Also, personally, one of the main reasons I came here was because it's small and the location is relatively quiet and not too far from home. It definitely lives up to that kinda vibe. I would definitely take the time you really ask questions at the open day about your course if you can because that is a massive part of the experience and it's good to know that your expectations and what they actually offer align.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending