The Student Room Group

My mum always thinks I’m lying

As the title suggests, my mum always thinks I’m lying. She asked me to help her with something and I told her to wait for like 10 minutes because I was doing something. After 10-15 minutes, I went to her and she finished up what she asked me to do. She started getting angry and saying things like ‘just like your dad’, ‘try to stall so I just end up doing it myself’ etc etc. whenever something like this happens, I defend myself but I’ve given up trying. I just hate that she never believes me. I literally just asked her to wait while I was doing something, came to help by the time stated, and she gets angry. Makes me feel worthless.

What do I do?
Original post by Anonymous
As the title suggests, my mum always thinks I’m lying. She asked me to help her with something and I told her to wait for like 10 minutes because I was doing something. After 10-15 minutes, I went to her and she finished up what she asked me to do. She started getting angry and saying things like ‘just like your dad’, ‘try to stall so I just end up doing it myself’ etc etc. whenever something like this happens, I defend myself but I’ve given up trying. I just hate that she never believes me. I literally just asked her to wait while I was doing something, came to help by the time stated, and she gets angry. Makes me feel worthless.

What do I do?

For starters, remember that you're not worthless and you have your own life with its own priorities and it's fine to wanna complete something you're already doing before starting something new. It seems that you've tried speaking to your mom about how you're busy and will come as soon as you're done but it's right after such situations happen. Try talking about it at a different time and clear out that you'd love to help her, you'd just want to complete whatever you're doing first. Tell her to just leave whatever it is you're supposed to do and you WILL do it. Usually this wouldn't be enough and she'd just continue yelling and stuff but persistence is key. If it's ever possible, maybe put whatever you're doing aside if it's not too imp and help her out first.

Such stuff takes a long time to resolve tho (months to years) so don't bring yourself down if you don't see immediate results. Sometimes people just cba to change and are just looking for excuses to take their frustrations out on others.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending