The Student Room Group

Why The Ignorance?

I tried to befriend a couple by introducing myself one day to them. We had a friendly conversation and it seemed like our pleasantries would proceed further into a fruitful friendship. However, I've been ignored by them ever since the initial conversation-and I'm wondering if I've done anything wrong.

Am I weird for knocking on someone's door just to try and start a friendship? Personally, I think that's a brave and decent thing to do-but I know also that not everyone will be welcome to that kind of approach.

I've thought about confronting them about the issue and what I might be doing wrong, but I feel this could be too confrontational.

What do you think I should do?
Reply 1
Leave them alone. People can be very strange, and you never know what goes on behind the shut door. Sometimes people may be fearful of the unknown or choose just not to pursue a friendship further (you don't know what they are currently coping with in life) Stay friendly, cheerful but respect their space. Sadly sometimes local gossip groups encourage others not to associate with certain people. Against that backdrop you may never succeed because at first contact everything is ok and within 48 hours you are stonewalled.

You just don't know and probably never will why some people don't want to return friendship.

Invest your time and energy in offering any help and support at local community voluntary groups. They will probably be so glad of your offer and you will find friendship and company among like minded people.
Original post by Muttly
Leave them alone. People can be very strange, and you never know what goes on behind the shut door. Sometimes people may be fearful of the unknown or choose just not to pursue a friendship further (you don't know what they are currently coping with in life) Stay friendly, cheerful but respect their space. Sadly sometimes local gossip groups encourage others not to associate with certain people. Against that backdrop you may never succeed because at first contact everything is ok and within 48 hours you are stonewalled.

You just don't know and probably never will why some people don't want to return friendship.

Invest your time and energy in offering any help and support at local community voluntary groups. They will probably be so glad of your offer and you will find friendship and company among like minded people.

Thanks for that advice. I get it's quite a hassle to just turn up at a door step and try to generate a friendship. Some people welcome it and others of course do not. I tried the tactic out back in 2019 and I made a good friend out of it-so again some are receptive and some are not.
Original post by Muttly

I just had a walk and the man saw me and deviated from me again. I think he has a problem with me, but as you say I'm best leaving well enough alone-it's his insecurity not mine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending