The Student Room Group

Seeking Advice on University Choices

I am a 19-year-old Year 12 student studying A-level first year, currently taking Math, Economics, and Business. In my IGCSE, I received 2 A*s and 6 As, and in my A-levels, I have so far achieved an A* in Math, an A in Business, and an A in Economics. I am hoping to apply to the following universities: LSE BSc Management, King's College Economics & Management BSc, UCL Economics BSc, and Durham Economics and Management. However, as a student who doesn't study Further Math, I am concerned about my chances of being accepted. Therefore, I would appreciate any advice or insights on my university choices and whether I am on the right track to achieving my goals. Thank you in advance for your help.
Original post by chitaolee23
I am a 19-year-old Year 12 student studying A-level first year, currently taking Math, Economics, and Business. In my IGCSE, I received 2 A*s and 6 As, and in my A-levels, I have so far achieved an A* in Math, an A in Business, and an A in Economics. I am hoping to apply to the following universities: LSE BSc Management, King's College Economics & Management BSc, UCL Economics BSc, and Durham Economics and Management. However, as a student who doesn't study Further Math, I am concerned about my chances of being accepted. Therefore, I would appreciate any advice or insights on my university choices and whether I am on the right track to achieving my goals. Thank you in advance for your help.

The first thing you need to check is whether these universities will accept Economics and Business together. Some class these as 1 subject so you would only have 2 subjects in their eyes. I think LSE and Warwick are 2 that do this. Further Maths is likely to be an issue in a couple of universities. Have a check of the entry requirements for each university and only apply to university's where you meet the entry criteria, It might be a good idea to email the universities now as you have time before applying.
Reply 2
Original post by chitaolee23

You can try LSE as an extreme longshot, but to be frank, you have almost no chance of getting in, as it is brutally competitive, plus they don't like narrow combinations:

Students offering a narrow range of subjects may be at a disadvantage compared to those offering a broader combination. Examples of narrow subject combinations might be Economics, Business Studies and one other or English Language, English Literature and one other.

https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Admissions-Information

Business is also on their non-preferred list of subjects, so although you meet the criteria of having at least 2 from the preferred list, I fear this might count against you also given how competitive they are.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending