The Student Room Group

What does it mean when a guy wants to be emotionally intimate before physically?

okay so I’ve gotten into a relationship with this guy and prior to being together we were in the talking stage for about 3 weeks. Anyways I’m really confused because he wants to be emotionally intimate before being physically intimate. Like in previous relationships guys have always wanted to be physically before emotionally and I’m really thrown off from it. He’s never been in a relationship. But like why would a guy favor emotional intimacy over physical?. Does this mean anything? Imma put some input in about me and him. (Im sorry if none of this makes sense I CANT EXPLAIN FOR ****)

So this was idk like 2/3 weeks ago I was over at his. It starts off innocent and then onto other stuff yk, nd then so we both wanted to have sex so we did.(I was his first time) Then mid way he pulls out and just lied on my chest and was really quiet and I told him I was in love with him and he was like I don’t know what love is and I told him what it was and he was just on me shaking his head and the conversation gradually went deeper. After that he sat up and then I went to the bathroom. I come back and he’s back in his clothes arms over his head sobbing and I pull him into me and he starts opening up to me about his mental health. then I went to go grab tissue and wiped his tears away. After he had calmed down he kept kissing my forehead and holding me and told me I was so special to him. Then on the way home he kept making me promise that I was okay and that me and him were okay.

Then a couple of days ago I trauma dumped on him and he responded with this - “Thank your for telling me,as it’s helped me understand where your coming from and how your past has shaped you as a person. Your consciously making changes in your life to help yourself grow as a person and I promise you your stronger than you think. the fact you’ve told me about this is the biggest and hardest step of it all and I’m soo ******* proud of you for telling me about it. I just now know that I need to show you that “love” and relationships don’t have to be sexual motivated but just happy to be in each other presence. I’m soo ******* sorry that you’ve had *****y experiences and that they’ve had such an impact on you but if you need me I’m here dumbass. I’m literally 10 mins away and if there’s anything I can do to help lmk we’ll get though this together I promise :smile:

I think I’m a bit paranoid because in my previous relationship it was pretty toxic and like I guess I feel a bit overwhelmed and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what his intentions are and like I said why does he want to be emotionally intimate first because I’m stuck :smile:

Like I said I’m sorry if it sounds like absolute dog **** 😭😭.
Reply 1
Where can I find a guy like him??!! He sounds absolutely wonderful!
Men secretly crave to talk about their feelings, men want to be understood, they want to know how to be more vulnerable in relationships, to let their emotions out, and just like everyone else want others to care about their feelings. As humans, we need to feel connected to others–to build emotional intimacy. I think it means he wants to build his trust in you and may even want a long haul relationship with you.
Ngl the patch of text was too long for me,

But I think he just wants to get to know you first. Sounds like a good guy :smile:
Reply 3
Yeah, so he wants to get to know you as a person rather than having sex because sex is not the most important thing. It's much more important to get to know someone as a person, how they express their love to you and what their hobbies are. You could suggest ways to help improve his mental health, so for example you could both go on a walk outside and spend some time in the sunshine. Also, you could go out for a meal at a nice restaurant. It's important to make time for each other through common interests. Hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending