The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

timeofyourlife
As pretentious as that reads, I don't think you've addressed any of the issues as to why you consider it to be an 'arbitrary principle of morality' and not simply a safeguard to try and protect minors engaging in activities which they're debatably psychologically inequipped to deal with thus leaving them in a position of being easily taken advantage of.

As incoherent as that reads [sic], principles of morality are arbitrary by definition, stemming not from the recognition of a universal categorical imperative, but the factitious, whimsical notions of society obtaining at any particular moment in time. The law's interdiction of sexual intercourse between minors who have not yet obtained the age of sixteen does not in any way protect them from 'being taken advantage of'; with respect to nonconsensual sex, that is unlawful under any circumstances; with respect to their psychogenic constitution, as it were, they do not become more 'psychologically equipped' to deal with a particular action because of the existence of a law, nor does the law itself, as statistics on teenage pregnancy testify, serve in any way to undermine or limit the will of others to have sex with minors under sixteen. I may as well say it again, the law is an ass.
visesh
But 70-80 years ago, in India, it would be perferclty normal for a 14-15 year old girl (i.e. a sexually "mature" girl) to be "married off".

Until 1929, twelve year old girls in Britain could be married off.
puppy
Well it has finished, I started my periods as 11 so biologically i could have had a child. Women are designed to have children young else we would all start our periods after the age of 16.

err..its not just aboutwhen your periods begin, its about your physical development as well and your hormone balance as well. that is why female sex drive is highest much later on in life.
puppy
Well it has finished, I started my periods as 11 so biologically i could have had a child. Women are designed to have children young else we would all start our periods after the age of 16.

Ok, I accept that... but I remember reading something about the development of the hips and stuff like that... the sorta growth that happens during puberty. This is allegedly affected.
THE PROPHETOR!
Hey guys

How long should a couple be going out before having sex?

Just interested...

Jason

This question could also be asked in this form:
How long does a guy have to make a girl believe he's really into her and wants to go out with her, before he can finally get some and get rid of her once he's bored.
And you've got girls wondering why their relationships never work out...

The ultimate relationship question for most men.
Reply 125
visesh
it might be, but "sleeping around" and "being "married off" both mean that a U16 is having sex.

With one person who they will stay with the rest of there life.

16 = 18 in india basicly, you are considerd a adult.
In indian culture when a girl is married off she is taken into the husbands family and looked after. She is expected to do everything an adult would. there isnt anything wrong with that if they consent.

the diffrence between there and here is that girls sleep round for the wrong reasons.
Reply 126
svidrigailov
As incoherent as that reads [sic], principles of morality are arbitrary by definition, stemming not from the recognition of a universal categorical imperative, but the factitious, whimsical notions of society obtaining at any particular moment in time. The law's interdiction of sexual intercourse between minors who have not yet obtained the age of sixteen does not in any way protect them from 'being taken advantage of'; with respect to nonconsensual sex, that is unlawful under any circumstances; with respect to their psychogenic constitution, as it were, they do not become more 'psychologically equipped' to deal with a particular action because of the existence of a law, nor does the law itself, as statistics on teenage pregnancy testify, serve in any way to undermine or limit the will of others to have sex with minors under sixteen. I may as well say it again, the law is an ass.

dude, stop talking trash. you have a cut off point or none at all. where would you have it? 10 years old? most girls start getting periods about 11 or 12 so its obviously fair game then? totally wrong. its 16 for many reasons, not totally restricted to biology.

edit : using big words wont win you arguments here. not everyone would be put off questioning you just because you have a fancy dictionary full of words like interdiction :smile:
Reply 127
BhArJ
People are generaly more mature and a little more warey about the world.
At 14 you are still at "no care" stage of your life where you didt really care about your future. Later on (useualy) you actualy start to think diffrently. Didt you feel and act diffrently between 14 and 16?

But the age isnt really fixed, its just generalised to fit most people. People do mature at diffrent ages, 16 is basicly average.

married off is diffrent from teenagers sleeping around.

Im 18 and Im still at a "no care" stage of my life.

And no, personally I dont think there was a big difference between how I acted when I was 14 and when I was 16. Why should you? There is nothing that happens in your life between those ages that prompts a fundamental change in your behaviour, you are still at school, still studying towards your GCSE's, still under the control of your parents etc. you have no extra privalidges or rights which would in theory help you develop into whats called adult-hood...

And I know AT 16 there is many new things you can do, but the ability to have sex legally happens simultaneously, so really it makes no difference.
SamTheMan
How long does a guy have to make a girl believe he's really into her and wants to go out with her, before he can finally get some and get rid of her once he's bored.

Umm... thats hardly my outlook on a sexual relationship... I'd only ever engage in one if I was really seriously in love with the person.
Reply 129
BhArJ
With one person who they will stay with the rest of there life.

16 = 18 in india basicly, you are considerd a adult.
In indian culture when a girl is married off she is taken into the husbands family and looked after. She is expected to do everything an adult would. there isnt anything wrong with that if they consent.

the diffrence between there and here is that girls sleep round for the wrong reasons.

I know that, but reasons aside, sex is sex. :smile:
Reply 130
Blackmarket Boy
err..its not just aboutwhen your periods begin, its about your physical development as well and your hormone balance as well. that is why female sex drive is highest much later on in life.

Well to save beating around the bush, as it were, I started masturbating when I was 11/12 so I don't see why I shouldn't have been having sex. Why does sex have to involve any emotional/psychological involvement anyway, it's a physical act? We're all "ready" to play sports when we're 14, we're all "ready" to have fun, we're all "ready" to masturbate (and thus think of ourselves and others sexually)- put it all together and we're "ready" for sex.
Reply 131
imasillynarb
Im 18 and Im still at a "no care" stage of my life.

And no, personally I dont think there was a big difference between how I acted when I was 14 and when I was 16. Why should you? There is nothing that happens in your life between those ages that prompts a fundamental change in your behaviour, you are still at school, still studying towards your GCSE's, still under the control of your parents etc. you have no extra privalidges or rights which would in theory help you develop into whats called adult-hood...

And I know AT 16 there is many new things you can do, but the ability to have sex legally happens simultaneously, so really it makes no difference.

heh, like i said not everybody is the same and 16 is just generalised.

Personaly im 17 and i dont think im ready for sex yet.
Reply 132
Mad Vlad
Umm... thats hardly my outlook on a sexual relationship... I'd only ever engage in one if I was really seriously in love with the person.

:dito:
Reply 133
Am I alone in being unfamiliar with this over emphasis on the psycologically element in what fundamentally is a physical action involving the simple exchange of bodily fluids?
Reply 134
puppy
Well to save beating around the bush, as it were, I started masturbating when I was 11/12 so I don't see why I shouldn't have been having sex. Why does sex have to involve any emotional/psychological involvement anyway, it's a physical act? We're all "ready" to play sports when we're 14, we're all "ready" to have fun, we're all "ready" to masturbate (and thus think of ourselves and others sexually)- put it all together and we're "ready" for sex.

So would you expect a 11/12 year old to know what to happen and be able to stay calm if a condom split?
Or not get giggly and immature if a girl starts her period.
Or deal with a kid of their own?
Or understand STI's fully?
Reply 135
technik
dude, stop talking trash. you have a cut off point or none at all. where would you have it? 10 years old? most girls start getting periods about 11 or 12 so its obviously fair game then? totally wrong. its 16 for many reasons, not totally restricted to biology.

edit : using big words wont win you arguments here. not everyone would be put off questioning you just because you have a fancy dictionary full of words like interdiction :smile:

And those reasons are? Enlighten us...
Reply 136
Mad Vlad

me too. notice how the ones who dont are more likely to end up sponging off society before they've even finished their GCSEs
Reply 137
Yossarian
Am I alone in being unfamiliar with this over emphasis on the psycologically element in what fundamentally is a physical action involving the simple exchange of bodily fluids?

Nope!
Reply 138
puppy
Nope!

Merci
Reply 139
SamTheMan

Why presume couples have sex when the guy wants to? Girls actually want sex sometimes, it's not for the guy to "trick" her.

Latest

Trending

Trending