The Student Room Group

Negotiating with uni?

I've applied to the University of Manchester for an integrated foundation year in physics, with requirements BBB.
However, I'm expecting an ABC/ABD or a BBD at worse tomorrow and want to know how likely it is they'll still accept me, and if there's anything I need to do (eg call them, and if so who do I call?)
(edited 8 months ago)
Very difficult to say if they'd accept you with lower grades than your entry conditions. Unfortunately they're under no obligation to accept you if you don't meet your offer and phoning them up is unlikely to change that unless you have something else to mention that they're not aware of (e.g. any mitigating circumstances), and even then it will likely be too late to bring this up. Still, you lose nothing by calling and while you may not be able to talk yourself onto the course you currently hold an offer for, the clearing staff may be able to advise you about other, similar courses that you may be able to enrol onto.

Whether or not they accept you with lower grades will be in part down to factors beyond your control, for example how many other students miss their offer. Perhaps have a search on here for threads from last year about your specific course to see if anybody was in the same situation a year ago.

Still, this may all be moot and while it's obviously good to be prepared for every eventuality, there's every chance that you will get the grades you're hoping for. Best of luck for tomorrow :smile:
Original post by kswales1
I've applied to the University of Manchester for an integrated foundation year in physics, with requirements BBB.
However, I'm expecting an ABC/ABD or a BBD at worse tomorrow and want to know how likely it is they'll still accept me, and if there's anything I need to do (eg call them, and if so who do I call?)

Hi, it's pretty normal to be apprehensive about your results. There is a chance you'll be still be accepted, although the further away from your offer grades, the less likely this will be.

Unis get your results a week ahead of you, so in most cases there will be a decision on UCAS Hub for you tomorrow morning. Unfortunately if they have rejected you, there is no negotiation to be had, you should only call them if there is no decision at all. You can call them about other courses though.

The first post of the following thread has a lot of useful info, especially the process flow diagram at the bottom.

Good luck! :smile:

A level+ 2023 Results Day Countdown

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending