The Student Room Group

Supporting my daughter financially

My daughter is going into her 2nd year in September. Last year her loan was based on my income plus her step-fathers. Why is the loan based on gross income and not net? My husband is retiring in January and currently pays 50% of his gross salary into his pension to allow him do do so and therefor our income is greatly reduced from what you are basing her loan on. This 1st year has been extremely hard trying to pay for everything and help her out as she is on the smallest loan she can get. This does not give an accurate reflection of our income. My daughter has no contact with her father so he is not helping financially but is there a legal reason why it assumed her step father will support her when he has his own children , who do not live with us?
Thank you
Original post by SheOs
My daughter is going into her 2nd year in September. Last year her loan was based on my income plus her step-fathers. Why is the loan based on gross income and not net? My husband is retiring in January and currently pays 50% of his gross salary into his pension to allow him do do so and therefor our income is greatly reduced from what you are basing her loan on. This 1st year has been extremely hard trying to pay for everything and help her out as she is on the smallest loan she can get. This does not give an accurate reflection of our income. My daughter has no contact with her father so he is not helping financially but is there a legal reason why it assumed her step father will support her when he has his own children , who do not live with us?
Thank you

Hi there, If a student requests to be income assessed based on the household income then their parents would be requested to provide their financial information in support of the application. If their parents are separated then we would only require 1 parents income in which they live with if that parent is single. If that parent has a partner then the parents partner would be required to provide their financial information.

We can only assess based on the regulatory provisions set by the Department for Education when they lay the regulations in Parliament. The intent behind the enacting of the regulations isn't something we have discretion over and isn't something on which we can comment.

Thanks, Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending